Seagate 6 TB NAS drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
But back on topic. Are the Seagate drives 7200 RPM models vs 5400 RPM White Label drives?
Don't think so, but that spec seems to be hidden. If they were 7200 rpm drives, I'd expect that fact to be mentioned.

Arwen

MVP
I was thinking that the screws provide better attachment to the mating surface, not that the transfer would go through the screws themselves. :)
Right on target. I have SEEN this make a difference. Loose drives, hot drives. Now I always screw in
as many screws as I can. Sun / Oracle Spud brackets allow upto 6 screws, so that's what I use if I have
the screws.

Z300M

Guru
I was thinking that the screws provide better attachment to the mating surface, not that the transfer would go through the screws themselves. :) But your point is taken, there probably isn't that much of a difference.
I'm surprised by the unbalanced airflow around the drive in these cages.
View attachment 14043
That's a 2.5-inch drive in the picture. A 3.5-inch drive mounts symmetrically. And in the iStarUSA drive cage I bought most recently the trays have six holes to accommodate the newer drives that no longer have the "middle screw hole." And it has just occurred to me that on the one occasion when one of my ST6000DX000 drives reached 45C, it was in one of the old trays, secured by only two screws.

Last edited:

Z300M

Guru
Don't think so, but that spec seems to be hidden. If they were 7200 rpm drives, I'd expect that fact to be mentioned.
What does smartctl tell you about the drive speed? According to smartctl, my ST6000DX000 drives are 7200rpm.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It covers the entire GA coast, and I thought most of the FL east cost as well. Power's still on at my home, which suggests to me that there isn't severe damage, but it's still a mess around there.

danb35

Hall of Famer
We're in Atlanta, so we're fine. Thanks for the well wishes. Part of my "bug out" kit was a laundry basket full of hard drives, though--everything from my server is in there (and 18 hard drives are heavy!). Even if the server's flooded and destroyed, I have my data.

danb35

Hall of Famer
But back on topic. Are the Seagate drives 7200 RPM models vs 5400 RPM White Label drives?
Winner winner chicken dinner! Yes, the Seagates are 7200 rpm; the white label disks report 5700 rpm. Well, two of them do; the other two don't report a spindle speed at all. Interesting. I'm a little surprised at the temperature delta, but at least that's a definite difference.

And when I got home yesterday afternoon, my home was completely undamaged.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Winner winner chicken dinner! Yes, the Seagates are 7200 rpm; the white label disks report 5700 rpm. Well, two of them do; the other two don't report a spindle speed at all. Interesting. I'm a little surprised at the temperature delta, but at least that's a definite difference.

And when I got home yesterday afternoon, my home was completely undamaged.

Yeah our HGST drives are 7200 RPM and they run quite a bit warmer than the 5400 RPM drives we have.

Glad to hear everything is good at your home.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Not sure on the Seagate drives, but as far as HVAC; have you considered simply adding a path for hot air to simply vent out on the ceiling? I am actually considering doing this and maybe even just tossing in a really quiet bathroom type vet/fan that will pull hot air up and out. Of course I would want to have an opening going into the closet (like near floor level) to bring in cooler air as well. But right now, I haven't gotten around to even putting the door back on. ;)

I don't know if I'd vent hot air to the attic or to the outside. Moving the air to another part of the house might be a better option (or moving it to the hvac return). There are various products that can accomplish this.
http://www.coolcomponents.com/Rooms-Closets_c_9.html

Status
Not open for further replies.