SOLVED Screensaver

danb35

Hall of Famer
Sure enough, so is mine. @Antairus, my apologies--I'm sure I'd seen a simple screen blank screen saver before on FreeNAS. Whether my memory is wrong on this, or it's changed since I saw that, I don't know. Still can't imagine why you'd (1) want a screen saver on a FreeNAS box, or (2) care what it looked like, but whatever. It appears that the way you'd change it would be to edit /etc/rc.conf. You'd probably need to repeat any changes whenever you upgraded the system, though.

Stux

MVP
Easiest way is to probably symlink over the daemon saver

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
@Antairus, my apologies--I'm sure I'd seen a simple screen blank screen saver before on FreeNAS.
It has been years since I connected a monitor to mine, but it was just a blank screen.
It must have changed when the underlying OS was changed. It is probably more of an oversight than a feature.

Dudleydogg

Explorer
My Freenas also has a Screen Saver, Just wanted to chime in. Yes I leave a monitor on the box all the time. Its nice to walk in server room and see any console message that might be cropping up.

kdragon75

Wizard
I must say I get a kick out of all of the low power builds and now we see this... We should file a feature request for graphical screen savers the reflect system stats like the ARC and pool IOPS. I mean, we already have a new WebUI. Lets start on a console UI!

diskdiddler

Wizard
It is unlikely, although possible that some sysadmins may be fairly religious or work in religious institutions, I know the odds are small but I imagine a little devil screensaver coming up on the console in the server room isn't going to please management if they come down to visit IT etc.

It's an awfully long shot but I could see it being possible, I'm sure we all know what some people in management are like.

paradoxiom

Patron

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is the screensaver option gone in Freenas11.2?
Yes, it's gone. 11.2 uses a new console driver, IIUC, which doesn't support the screensavers.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, it's gone. 11.2 uses a new console driver, IIUC, which doesn't support the screensavers.

This is more of a FreeBSD thing than a FreeNAS thing. The vt vs sc debacle has been going on for awhile now and is rather annoying, as vt is substantially less fully-featured than sc, but does have some operational advantage on newish hardware. It would have been nice to see feature parity, especially for things like the splash and screensaver. The replacing of one aging and semi-dysfunctional thing with a new shiny and also semi-dysfunctional thing has a distinctly Linux flavor to it. :-(

It makes life more difficult for those of us who create image building tools that support four major revisions of FreeBSD (yes, that's 9, 10, 11, *and* 12).

In any case, you may at least temporarily be able to set "kern.vty=sc" as a loader.conf variable to force the selection of syscons as your console driver. I haven't tried this on FreeNAS but it works fine for FreeBSD.

FedeLopez

Cadet
How do you change from the Default Screensaver in FreeNAS11?

UPDATE
So if anyone else needs this info The Screen saver is located @ /conf/base/etc/
File is rc.conf.local

Search for Saver
The Saver will be daemon just change to one of the available Screen Savers. You Just need the first part of the filename.
Example = "rain"

List of Screen savers in FreeNAS 11

blank_saver.ko This screen saver simply blanks the screen.
beastie_saver.ko Animated graphical BSD Daemon.
daemon_saver.ko Animated BSD Daemon screen saver.
dragon_saver.ko Draws a random dragon curve.
fade_saver.ko The screen will gradually fade away.
fire_saver.ko A fire which becomes higher as load increases.
green_saver.ko The screen will be blanked, similar to blank_saver.ko.
If the monitor and the video card's BIOS support it the
screen will also be powered off.
logo_saver.ko Animated graphical FreeBSD logo.
plasma_saver.ko Draws an animated interference pattern.
rain_saver.ko Draws a shower on the screen.
snake_saver.ko Draws a snake of string.
star_saver.ko Twinkling stars.
warp_saver.ko Streaking stars.
I had FreeNAS (9) installed on a USB Stick, my USB broken and I did install TrueNAS Core 12 instead.
In FreeNAS I had not only Beastie as Screen Saver but also a password protect to get console back...
All of it configurable from WebGUI.

Now... how can I first activate Sreensaver? I don't get rc.conf.local in /conf/base/etc (only rc.conf but in nowhare mention something similar to screensaver)

Thanks all in advance.

sretalla