SOLVED Screensaver

Antairus

Dabbler
How do you change from the Default Screensaver in FreeNAS11?

UPDATE
So if anyone else needs this info The Screen saver is located @ /conf/base/etc/
File is rc.conf.local

Search for Saver
The Saver will be daemon just change to one of the available Screen Savers. You Just need the first part of the filename.
Example = "rain"

List of Screen savers in FreeNAS 11

blank_saver.ko This screen saver simply blanks the screen.
beastie_saver.ko Animated graphical BSD Daemon.
daemon_saver.ko Animated BSD Daemon screen saver.
dragon_saver.ko Draws a random dragon curve.
fade_saver.ko The screen will gradually fade away.
fire_saver.ko A fire which becomes higher as load increases.
green_saver.ko The screen will be blanked, similar to blank_saver.ko.
If the monitor and the video card's BIOS support it the
screen will also be powered off.
logo_saver.ko Animated graphical FreeBSD logo.
plasma_saver.ko Draws an animated interference pattern.
rain_saver.ko Draws a shower on the screen.
snake_saver.ko Draws a snake of string.
star_saver.ko Twinkling stars.
warp_saver.ko Streaking stars.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Screensaver? What are you talking about?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You unplug the monitor, keyboard and mouse; then you don't need a screensaver.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Uhhh, the screen goes blank and then basically turns the monitor to low power mode. It works.... I would say 95% of us run headless anyway and rarely need to look at the screen unless there is an issue and then there is no reason to mess with what works.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You might be doing something in a way that is less than ideal. We might offer you tips, or suggestions about improvements, if you tell something about your hardware and what it is you are trying to do.

Antairus

Dabbler
Thanks Guys you don't know how much I appreciate all the helpful comments.
Just Unplug everything and go Headless. Now why did I not think of that?
I guess because its Irrelevant to the Question I asked.
There are Multiple Screensaver files. I was just wondering how one would go about changing from the Default.

danb35

Hall of Famer
There are Multiple Screensaver files.
No, there aren't. FreeNAS doesn't have a screen saver, other than to blank the screen. It doesn't even have a graphical environment at all on which a screen saver would be shown. And being a smartass isn't going to get you much help.

If you'd like help, it would behoove you to explain your question considerably more clearly.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I guess because its Irrelevant to the Question I asked.
Snark. That isn't a good way to get answers...
There are Multiple Screensaver files. I was just wondering how one would go about changing from the Default.
Since most people don't even use a screen, and it isn't intended to be used that way, I would be shocked if there was a way to change it.

Antairus

Dabbler
Snark. That isn't a good way to get answers...

Since most people don't even use a screen, and it isn't intended to be used that way, I would be shocked if there was a way to change it.

So Thanks for the Name calling.
I come here asking a question and people are telling me that it does not exist or to unplug.
Yes its very irritating to have your post filled with nonsense. I don't care what other people do with their units.
Being the "FreeNAS Expert" that you are, you think you would offer some advise on the subject. Instead you Say Tips and Suggestions?
I Just want the Dancing Devil Changed to another ScreenSaver.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You're telling me your machine is displaying an animated screensaver featuring Beastie?

danb35

Hall of Famer
people are telling me that it does not exist
That's because what you're describing doesn't exist in FreeNAS, at least as far as any of us has seen. FreeNAS is a text-only environment. It has no graphics capabilities whatsoever. It boots to a text menu (containing 14 options, if memory serves correctly). After a period of inactivity, it blanks the screen and puts the monitor in standby mode. That's it. If you're seeing behavior different from this, I (and I expect everyone else here) would be very interested in seeing some screenshots.

Edit: Might daemon_saver.ko have been activated somehow? It certainly isn't the default, but looks like it's available...

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's because what you're describing doesn't exist in FreeNAS, at least as far as any of us has seen. FreeNAS is a text-only environment. It has no graphics capabilities whatsoever. It boots to a text menu (containing 14 options, if memory serves correctly). After a period of inactivity, it blanks the screen and puts the monitor in standby mode. That's it. If you're seeing behavior different from this, I (and I expect everyone else here) would be very interested in seeing some screenshots.
I'm actually investigating this a little. The old sc console did support screensavers, which are kernel modules for some reason that scares me. The latest information I can find about the new vt console is that it does not support screensavers (yet).

I'm running a test on one of my boxes. FreeNAS defaults to vt on my X10SLM+-F, so I enabled the screensaver and rebooted to see what would happen. I'll update in 10 minutes, after the timer is supposed to expire.
I'm also looking at the serial console, to see what, if anything, happens there.

Redcoat

MVP
What about this one (from the console menu)?

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=screensaver&apropos=0

upload_2017-12-13_12-4-47.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm actually investigating this a little. The old sc console did support screensavers, which are kernel modules for some reason that scares me. The latest information I can find about the new vt console is that it does not support screensavers (yet).

I'm running a test on one of my boxes. FreeNAS defaults to vt on my X10SLM+-F, so I enabled the screensaver and rebooted to see what would happen. I'll update in 10 minutes, after the timer is supposed to expire.
I'm also looking at the serial console, to see what, if anything, happens there.
No screensavers here when using the vt console.

OP, if, for some inexplicable reason, you really want a screensaver and really want a different one, read up on the FreeBSD documentation, as linked by @Redcoat above.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How do you determine/control which console is used?
This bug ticket should have most of the information.

IIRC, FreeNAS defaults to vt when using UEFI, as sc does not/did not work with UEFI video modes.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So Thanks for the Name calling.
I come here asking a question and people are telling me that it does not exist or to unplug.
Yes its very irritating to have your post filled with nonsense. I don't care what other people do with their units.
Being the "FreeNAS Expert" that you are, you think you would offer some advise on the subject. Instead you Say Tips and Suggestions?
I Just want the Dancing Devil Changed to another ScreenSaver.
If you think I was calling you names, you are not familiar with the word. It is related to your comments, not your person.
I'm not saying anything about you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Stux

MVP