Save configuration root password inconsistency during upgrade

Pitfrr

Wizard
Hello,

I couldn't find similar threads so I started this one.
In TrueNAS 12.x when you want to download the configuration file, it asks for the root password, which is a good practice from a security perspective.

I just did an upgrade from 12.0-U1 to 12.0-U3.1.
Before upgrading, I saved the configuration and got asked for the root password as expected.
Then I started the upgrade process. I had forgotten that it asks to download the configuration as well...
So I did it again (just to be sure! :tongue:) and here to my surprise, no root password asked?

That was surprising and inconsistent with the behavior in System\General\Save config.
Now that the update is done, I can not reproduce it again of course... :smile:
But, is this a wanted behavior or a bug (a minor one I would say at least for my use case)?

Is there some kind of timer that if you provided the root password within the last few minutes it won't ask again?
At least not for the download of the configuration in the System\General tab.

Did anyone else experienced that?

Pitfrr

Wizard
I confirmed the behavior with the update to 12.0-U4: no root password asked when upgrading.

sretalla