SATA DOM for Gigabyte MD70-HB0

Savell Martin

Contributor
Hey guys,

I have the following MOBO: Gigabyte MD70-HB0
https://www.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MD70-HB0-rev-12#ov

The manual says it supports SATA_DOM x2, so I wanted to do my FreeNAS install to these 2 SATA Doms.
But I cannot find any that work.
I tried the SuperMicro SuperDOMS: Supermicro SuperDOM SSD-DM032-PHI 32GB
And INNODISK SATADOM-ML 3SE 64GB SLC SATA - DESML-64GD06SCAQB-B191B

I couldn't get either of these to work.
Yes I did change the jumpers to supposedly work.

With the Innodisk ones it had a power cable but I couldnt find anywhere on the mobo to plug this in for 5v (correct me if I'm wrong) but this should be powered by the sata port itself right?

Can anyone recommend one in the UK that will work? As I'd really like to avoid using USB if possible.

myoung

Explorer
I couldn't get either of these to work.
Yes I did change the jumpers to supposedly work.

With the Innodisk ones it had a power cable but I couldnt find anywhere on the mobo to plug this in for 5v (correct me if I'm wrong) but this should be powered by the sata port itself right?

It looks like they both should work. If the power jumpers are set then the SATADOMs should not need external power.

Have you checked to see if they are recognized by the BIOS?

Savell Martin

Contributor
It looks like they both should work. If the power jumpers are set then the SATADOMs should not need external power.

Have you checked to see if they are recognized by the BIOS?
Yeah BIOS didnt see any SATA drives at all.
I also thought they should work, but unless I was doing something stupid (quite possible).
I put them in those 2 SATA slots above the line of them.
Moved the jumper thats right next to each slot. (tried both settings).
Checked in BIOS and no drives are showing under the SATA drives list.

myoung

Explorer
I wasn't implying you are doing something stupid, but I think you should figure out why these aren't working instead of buying different DOMs which likely will not work for the same reason.

First I'd make sure the BIOS is reset to default settings. Then make sure the BIOS recognizes a "normal" SATA device, make sure that the jumper is set to PIN2-3 so that you don't fry your normal SATA drive.

Savell Martin

Contributor
I wasn't implying you are doing something stupid, but I think you should figure out why these aren't working instead of buying different DOMs which likely will not work for the same reason.

First I'd make sure the BIOS is reset to default settings. Then make sure the BIOS recognizes a "normal" SATA device, make sure that the jumper is set to PIN2-3 so that you don't fry your normal SATA drive.
Sorry man, was in a rush and left for a weekend getaway.
Back to the topic.

You raise a good point in figuring it out, rather than buying more. (And I didnt mean you calling me stupid, I just meant I probably was myself :))
Ok so BIOS was reset to default many times, and it does recognise normal SATA.
I have currently got 2x SATA SSD's (Samsung) and all is working just fine (not the same sata ports, but I can try that when I get home tonight)

Cheers

Savell Martin

Contributor
I found another Supermicro SuperDOM SSD-DM032-PHI 32GB

Does anyone know if this should work with this mobo?

Savell Martin

Contributor
I can confirm, plugging in the 2x SSD's into these SATA ports shows up in BIOS perfectly fine and without issue :(
It seems to be just the SATADOMS that are an issue.