Reset BMC Password

SecureMyBits

Cadet
Hi all,

Hi all. I have a used Gigabyte MD70-HB0 motherboard. Unfortunately I am unable to login to the BMC. When prompted for a username and password I have tried the default admin / password with no success.

Is there any way the reset this back to default with local access / jumpers?

Any info would be grateful as the Gigabyte manual only mentions resetting to factory default once logged into the BMC.

Regards.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think I had a similar problem a few years ago.

As far as memory serves me, this was the solution I used:
  1. Connect to the host via SSH (from the menu select Shell if you're at the physical console)
  2. Issue the following command: ipmitool user list.
  3. Note the ID of the IPMI admin user.
  4. Change the password with the following command: ipmitool user set password.
Best of luck with it.

Ubermik

Cadet
Hiya, I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone can help

I am a total novice to this IPMI stuff, literally NEVER used it before ever and have a similar problem

I have seen several "solutions" that are identical to this, but I feel they might be written to people who are actually used to using things like IPMI and SSH

When I try to SSH into the machine (I was using putty) I dont get a menu, it just asks for the username and password that I dont have to begin with

So I am guessing that I am missing something here but havent a clue what

By "physical console" do you mean I need to be doing it from the machine with the IMPI? If so would I need both the IPMI and a normal network port simultaneously connected to the same network or does it connect to the BMC from the OS side of the network layers?

I am hoping its just some facepalm level of stupidity on my part that I just cant see lol :)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
When I try to SSH into the machine (I was using putty) I dont get a menu, it just asks for the username and password that I dont have to begin with
The root user and password should be it. It's expected to see no menu via SSH.

By "physical console" do you mean I need to be doing it from the machine with the IMPI?
Depends how "locked out" of the machine you are... if you know the root password, then SSH is fine.

would I need both the IPMI and a normal network port simultaneously connected to the same network or does it connect to the BMC from the OS side of the network layers?
Not mandatory for using some functions, but if you want it as an option to access the machine "out of band" to make it as if you're standing in front of the machine, then you need to treat the IPMI NIC as a second connection.

Ubermik

Cadet
The root user and password should be it. It's expected to see no menu via SSH.

Depends how "locked out" of the machine you are... if you know the root password, then SSH is fine.

Not mandatory for using some functions, but if you want it as an option to access the machine "out of band" to make it as if you're standing in front of the machine, then you need to treat the IPMI NIC as a second connection.
Ok I probably didnt explain it very well and might be using terms incorrectly due to my noobiness :)

I have full access to the machine itself, bios and windows

Its just the BMC I cant log into, none of the default passwords work admin/admin, ADMIN/ADMIN, root/superuser so I assume they were changed even though when I bought it the seller said they were set to defaults, but I didnt need to use the IMPI before as the device was on my desk plugged into a KVM

So its just the ADSPEED passwords I am trying to reset to default

sretalla