SATA Controller Card that Works?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
So,

I was hanging out in #ZFS today while eating my lunch, and there's a guy that says he found a good (Marvell-based, unfortunately), low-priced, SATA card that worked for him straight out of the box in FreeBSD-latest...(hence, I assume it does, or will, work in FreeNAS, at some point?)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZ9T3OU/?tag=ozlp-20

Edit: Some of the questions on Amazon, and their answers, are very compelling/optimistic!

According to what I understand from @cyberjock, most/all of such cards don't really work in FreeBSD at all, but he tells me this one is working for him, and he has a pool on it. I've directed his attention to this post in case anyone like @cyberjock has any info or resources for him, or anyone else.

Last edited:

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Marvell SATA chips (don't mix with SAS) should generally work now. They may be fine for SOHO, especially later ones, though for serious production I would not trust in their reliability.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

tyronebiggums

Dabbler
Good find, I had a feeling that I'd be asking for a SATA card recommendation in the future. Perhaps this part number can be added to the recommended hardware list so it can be easily accessed?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Good find, I had a feeling that I'd be asking for a SATA card recommendation in the future. Perhaps this part number can be added to the recommended hardware list so it can be easily accessed?
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Sparky! That was merely a recommendation/anecdote from a random dude/user in the #ZFS channel. I'd want Cyberjock and some of the other guys to sound off on this, since "cheap SATA cards" have been on our "generally-doesn't-work-and-even-if-it-does-you-don't-want-it" list for years.

If this marvel SATA chipset works decently on recent FreeBSD, as an add-on card, that will be exceptionally welcome news to all of us.

Definitely it's not gospel yet though, merely, we have a guy who has tried it and claims success.

tyronebiggums

Dabbler
I was also basing it on all the reviews for the card on Amazon.com. If you search the reviews, there are six users, all with different versions of FreeNAS stating that it does indeed work. :p

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The ASRock Avoton boards have two different Marvell SATA controllers. They work, for some values of "work", but it seems almost like some of them are knockoffs/defective and end up causing random trouble.

I expect these controllers to suffer from similar consistency issues.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I had no trouble with my Highpoint Rocket 640L, which also has a Marvell chipset (perhaps even the same one as the OP). Please note that the acronym "RAID" is not present in the name of this card, unlike many Highpoint cards. It's a straight-through HBA by default and gave me full SMART visibility. I'm not using it right now, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I needed the extra ports. It lists on Amazon for $65 today but I paid about half that on eBay.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
I want to enforce the last message: There are two kinds of Marvell 6Gbps chips (or their firmware) -- RAID and HBA, and you definitely don't want to have RAID ones! While they kind of work too, they have problems with hotplug and some other things.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Intriguing as a potential solution for mirrored boot devices, no?
Yes it is, and some of the other models have eSATA which might be used to connect an inexpensive external hard drive for a backup target.

solarisguy

Guru
I am using PEXSAT32 for over a year to mirror two 1 TB drives. The drives have default swap (2GB on each), and a single pool is devoted to .system and jails. Currently 9.2.1.9.

solarisguy

Guru
I want to enforce the last message: There are two kinds of Marvell 6Gbps chips (or their firmware) -- RAID and HBA, and you definitely don't want to have RAID ones! While they kind of work too, they have problems with hotplug and some other things.
I am using PEXSAT32, and when booting I have options to create RAID 0 or RAID 1 or do nothing. The last option turned out to be equivalent to passthrough.

I have successfully performed both hot-plug and hot-unplug, but did not trust the connectors(!), and performed reboots afterwards.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This is all very interesting. A straight, no bullshit, SATA add-on card with a decently-performing Marvell chipset that the more visible members of the community would say is "decent" would be quite welcome.

solarisguy

Guru
a decently-performing Marvell chipset
The PEXSAT32 observed performance is visibly below that of C224 chipset. I have seen somewhere 150MB/s as PEXSAT32 upper limit. Under the best circumstances, I got from the pool (a two-way mirror) around 112-114MB/s for the practical loads.

I ended up with the card in x1 slot, but it could have been only because of the marginal/broken SATA cables I was using at the time. I had no time (or opportunity) to perform further testing since the faulty cables had been replaced.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The PEXSAT32 observed performance is visibly below that of C224 chipset. I have seen somewhere 150MB/s as PEXSAT32 upper limit. Under the best circumstances, I got from the pool (a two-way mirror) around 112-114MB/s for the practical loads.

I ended up with the card in x1 slot, but it could have been only because of the marginal/broken SATA cables I was using at the time. I had no time (or opportunity) to perform further testing since the faulty cables had been replaced.
Sir, I wouldn't dream of a Marvell chipset performing as well as a C22X. I said "decently" performing. 100MB/s, and the pool not being destroyed, is a fair compromise for a cheap SATA card.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you know me my concerns are very much the same as when AsRock Rack started releasing new motherboards after not being in the server board industry for.. 10 years(?). Any company that comes out with something new needs to be tested, vetted, see how the manufacturer handles complaints for problems, etc. Even with the great LSI 2008 products, I don't recommend the 3008 just yet. Not because I don't trust LSI, but there's relatively little data and prior to 9.3.1 virtually everyone had major problems including corrupted pools that ended up going bad before they existed long enough to even store data. (I'm just very conservative and don't like to endorse something until I feel it is safe enough that I would use it myself.)

I'm cautiously optimistic. Marvell has been one of those companies that has regularly made very good products that work great on the platforms they officially support (with a few exceptions of some chipsets of course). They've routinely had poor/no support in Linux and FreeBSD forever-ish(?) so while this is a "good" sign I'd rather wait 2 years before I, personally, start recommending them or consider using them.

This is similar to what I said about AsRock Rack when they came out. Cautiously optimistic, and AsRock Rack has had some problems. Some Marvell controllers still being made in boards like the C2750D4I still are not 100%. Nobody knows why and without a reproduction case (which is being worked on, but hasn't been entirely successful) the issues are not likely to be fixed.

Even now, the P20 firmware on AsRock Rack boards doesn't exist publicly, despite the fact that P20 first came out in October 2014. Now I (and a forum user) have talked to AsRock Rack about the firmware issue, and they are taking action (good on them and quick turnaround too) but it's still a work in progress. So until they actually put out a P20 firmware (ideally 20.00.04 or higher) then they've still missed the mark in my book.

So yeah.. let's see how the Marvell's stand up in the BSD community and how good/bad they actually are when people actually use them because they have them handy and chose to be a potential guinea pig to save money/time/effort over going over more tried-and-true hardware like LSI controllers.

So my opinion, to put it short and sweet is:

Great! Let's talk in 2 years and I'll let you know what the evidence is that I've seen. Until then, the LSI is still king and I won't be recommending the Marvell controllers just yet.

Unfortunately, this may also be self-defeating. If we don't recommend them, we won't necessarily have a large user-base that will actually test them, so we may be saying no in 2 years just because we have little or no data points. :P

We used to see regular zpool corruption when I first started experimenting with ZFS and FreeNAS over 3 years ago. I was pretty freaked out because of how many there were, lack of recovery tools, how quickly and suddenly it can go from "good" to "all data is gone". The occurrences of lost pools are now very few and far between now despite a community of users that is probably 10 times larger than it was 3 years ago, and I attribute much of that to the fact that we now recommend ECC RAM and server-grade hardware. We didn't push for that kind of thing 3 years ago, so we're clearly making good decisions on hardware recommendations and people clearly are using that information more often than not. (yay!)

The problem with bleeding edge is sometimes you bleed to death. I'm not a fan of that. ;)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Even if these things do work the smart money is still on a used M1015 off ebay.

$26 for 2 additional drives, $64 for 4 additional drives or $100 (or less) for 8 additional drives.

Having said that if I still had a test system I'd just have to try one of the $26 2 port cards just to see if it works over time. :D

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I'd probably try it myself on a less critical box. Maybe a backup box or something. Just to see where we're at.

Status
Not open for further replies.