SAS drive pool issue with TrueNAS only

slayercft

Cadet
Hello all,

I have server running truenas scale 22.12.3.1 with 3x EMC KTN-STL3 chassis with just a ton of old hdds laying around in it, all of which are sata. Working great.

I'm now trying to do my sas drives (I only have 4). One of them was 520 and using windows 10, i was able to format it to 512 and it now works great in my truenas build.

The other 3 I'm having trouble with. Apparently they are originally 512 (i confirmed this) . They seem to work fantastic in windows. Threw em' in, and converted them to GPT, gave em a vol/letter and I can use them great. The controller im using in both the truenas server, and windows PC is a LSI 9211-4i.

However, when I put them in the truenas server, they show up, find all the info, everything seems great until i try to actually add them into a pool. Then I get this error. "Disk: incorrectly formatted with Data Integrity Feature (DIF)."

There seems to be a lot of information on here, specifically this thread, but it dosent seem to be the exact same issue I'm having. I'm pretty new to this and I could really use some advice on what to do next.

The drives are HGST 4tb HUS726040ALS214

I submitted a claim to WD for software mentioned in said thread, but its been a day with no response.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated
Photos show most of the process/issue.

Attachments

• sas drives 2 yay.png
    sas drives 2 yay.png
    552.5 KB · Views: 56
  • sas drives yay.png
    sas drives yay.png
    443 KB · Views: 53
  • sassy1.png
    sassy1.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 59
  • sassy2.png
    sassy2.png
    90 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

slayercft

Cadet
shameless self-bump.

So far I'm using these drives on windows, to migrate data while I continue to setup the truenas server. After I get it configured the way I want and I move the data off these, if I still cant figure it out and dont hear from WD, I may just end up selling them to someone who has a use for them.

Arwen

MVP
If you post the SMART output from one of the SAS disks giving the error "Disk: incorrectly formatted with Data Integrity Feature (DIF)." we may be able to help. Use something like this against the disk and post the results in code tags here;
smartctl -x /dev/DRIVE

Try sg_readcap /dev/sdv

Lets see what the logical block length is.

slayercft

Cadet
appreciate the responses! They are currently holding stuff from previous file server while i get the truenas server setup. Soon as I copy everything off ill throw em back in and see what both of these show!

EDIT: just wanted to update, having trouble getting plex/smb/permissions setup (same issue as this thread). Hopefully after that I can continue this and update with what I find out!

Last edited: