Sanity check this plan to replace my Asrock Rack C2550D4I

Status
Not open for further replies.

FritzDCat

Cadet
Seems like my second C2550D4I just stopped posting. This is in spite of having the new and improved firmware flashed to it. Going to contact Asrock about an RMA but at this point I am starting to think about just upgrading it. Currently I have this:

Asrock Rack C2550D4I
2 x Kingston 8GB KVR16LE11/8I
CORSAIR CX430 Power Supply
LIAN LI PC-Q25B Mini-ITX Case
4 x Western Digital Red 2TB
2x Samsung 32 GB Flash for boot

I have been reading the latest version of the FreeNAS Community Hardware Guide and am thinking I could replace the motherboard with the X11SSM-F-O

Need some help with processor selection. I am thinking this Xeon E3 1245 v5 would be okay but see below regarding what I am doing with it currently. Would love some suggestions.

This is a home machine and is not usually very heavily loaded. File serving, Plex in a jail and currently CrashPlan in a jail but that will be going away. However I had started to experiment with the live TV stuff on Plex and it seemed like there I was hitting some processor limitations when transcoding so that is one of the reasons I am thinking about an upgrade.

Does this seem sane or will any of this make me hate my life in some way? Thanks very much.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am thinking this Xeon E3 1245 v5
Overkill. At least ditch the iGPU (unless that's cheaper). Any Xeon E3 is going to be significantly faster than your C2550.

Does this seem sane or will any of this make me hate my life in some way? Thanks very much.
It's fine, but it's a substantial upgrade, since you need new almost everything.

FritzDCat

Cadet
Okay see this is exactly why I posted this since it is obvious to me that I am incapable of reading either the Hardware guide or the Supermicro data sheets. For some reason I thought this was a Mini-ITX board which is obviously not the case.

Yeah my goal it to reuse as much as possible including case so it looks like maybe the best bet would be the AsRock Rack E3C224D4I-14S. Would get me away from the C2550, same layout, full size DIMM's like I have now etc. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the CPU recommendation regarding the iGPU. I will do a bit more work on the Intel site and figure out something more economical. I appreciate the help.

wywywywy

Dabbler
E3C224D4I-14S is not ITX either...
It's extended ITX which may or may not fit the case.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I know it fits the Q26 (one of the companies checked some years back), but I'm not sure anyone's tried the Q25.

FritzDCat

Cadet
Thanks guys. I will bust out the tape measure before I bust out the credit card. Other than that though people have had good results with this board?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's a voodoo-shrunk X10SL7-F. It's a fine option.

Status
Not open for further replies.