Samsung RAM query

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemisisak

Explorer
I have just upgraded my RAM from 2 x 16GB to 4 x 16GB. When the additional 2 sticks arrived I confirmed the model number was correct however the ending of the code was different as below;

Existing - M393A2G40DB0-CPB
New -M393A2G40DB0-CPB2Q

I did a quick search and nothing notable came up. Samsung only seem to be bothered about the first section, so I didn't see why not to try them out. After alot of playing about with memory posting errors from my motherboard and changing an switching of RAM stick they all work (errors were due to motherboard RAM slot allocation).

Anyway, I was just interested if anyone knew the difference between the two?

Thanks as always.

P.S. if you have an ASRock motherboard dont put your RAM sticks into A1, B1, C1, D1 as they say in their manual, use A1, A2, B1, B2 and save yourself some time and stress :')

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's probably just a minor revision, but you can check the markings on the chips themselves too see if there is anything interesting.

nemisisak

Explorer
It's probably just a minor revision, but you can check the markings on the chips themselves too see if there is anything interesting.

Yes it does seem to be revision related. I was trying to sort through their data sheet but the revisions dont appear specific to the model and it doesnt specify any identifiable differences for the 2Q varient. The chips on the RAM are different which I was a little surprised by as Samsung is a Manufacturer you would of expected them to stay congruent. To be honest i'm just glad they play nice! ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
It sounds like the revision was the chips. The next time you get a chance could you take a photo of both old and new chips, really up close so we can read the markings? You know what they say, a picture is worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.