Samba asking for login before viewing shares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggyk

Contributor
Im finally starting to get the hang of setting proper permissions for each of my shares but one thing im confused about is when I type in //freenas to access my shares. It will ask for a login before I can see the shares. I wanted to be able to get into it and see the shares and then ask for login when you click on one. Reason being is I have two private shares for each user in my house but then I also have a media share for my kodi devices and a guest share that is completely open for any guests in my house wishing to access or transfer a file. So I don't want a guest or my kodi devices being prompted for a login before they even see the share. Hope this makes sense.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Set the shares to guest only mode?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

biggyk

Contributor
Set the shares to guest only mode?

But Im guessing all would have to be set to guest. What I mean is when I click on network in windows and it shows all my networking devices, if I click on freenas it will ask for login before I can go in a see the shares? That normal?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I have a feeling you are sharing your root pool, is this correct? You should only make shares for datasets.

biggyk

Contributor
If you mean sharing /mnt/Main then no but i have datasets such as mnt/main/Mike and mnt/main/Media that im sharing.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You should be able to map those shares directly. Don't bother with the network section of Windows.

biggyk

Contributor
You should be able to map those shares directly. Don't bother with the network section of Windows.

Ok i just wanted to make sure it was easy a possible for guest to open that share without login prompts or anything. Il skip it all together.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can do it your original way also. I have no clue why it asks for a password

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yes always

biggyk

Contributor
Yes always

Sounds good.

One issue im having and I had the same while using ubuntu server is accessing my private shares from an android device. Using es file manager when i click on my share (/mnt/main/mike says this has no set permissions and not even a way to login. The guest only shares I can access no problem.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Can I have my datasets as Unix while using smb shares??
Yes you can do, no you should not do it. Group permissions and some other edge cases will not work.

biggyk

Contributor
Yes you can do, no you should not do it. Group permissions and some other edge cases will not work.

Okay, I finally got all my hardware and built the NAS last night. Just trying to tune all the permissions and getting certain plugins working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.