running Truenas core on Supermicro Supero server updated Truenas and lost ability to access my shared files

hoglandadmin

Cadet
As I stated above I have lost the ability to access my shared files a little background info first:
1, Truenas is connected to a domain that has an active directory setup.
2, the file shares are as follows /mnt/Speedvault/Backup and another /mnt/Speedvault/Share1
3, I updated Truenas which worked fine before but now lost ability to view files. I can see inside Speedvault and see the 2 files Backup and Share1 inside.
4, the sharing technique used is SMB
5, The directory services>active directory is setup and using our domain for what I suspect authentication.

So thats all I think is needed and of course I can add other information as needed. I have gone through the forums and tried many solutions given to others with similar problems such as using the setfacl to allow all and setpharm -s to view how the share is set. Honestly I'm not very comfortable with TrueNAS but am getting better by the day. I review the ACL permissions and as far as I can tell everything is set correctly but maybe where its a domain something is set incorrectly. I am honestly at a loss and could use some help. Thanks in advance

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
How exactly are you trying to access the shares?
What happens when you do that? Is there an error message? What exactly is it?

hoglandadmin

Cadet
How exactly are you trying to access the shares?
What happens when you do that? Is there an error message? What exactly is it?
So I’m trying to access it by my windows explorer, I navigate to the file and I try to open the share and it say I don’t have permissions to access the files. And it throws a failure to connect error. I’m unfortunately out of work for the day so can’t do anything beyond answer some questions

hoglandadmin

Cadet
Honestly it was my manager that upgraded so I can't be sure the version he upgraded from but I can tell you its probably 2-3 versions ago its completely up to date now its 13.0 stable. We are using root but every time we try to create another admin user like the forums say it doesn't work we keep getting invalid username or password. I have reviewed several articles about creating a new admin user to replace the root but doing them verbatim it still has the same issue. So I guess we could say its 2 issues not one or maybe all is because of the root user still in use.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Admin user aside you need to create regular non-admin users for file sharing. Then change the dataset ACLs to match the desired access. With CORE you can keep root for administration for the time being, but it cannot be used for file access, anymore.

hoglandadmin

Cadet
So the one things I'm not quite understanding, and this is my failing, is we are in a domain and its using our domain active directory for credentials(at least as far as I know) how it used to work before the update was someone who was logged into our network and wasn't a guest user was able to access the shared files. After the update that no longer was the case. something changed during the update that no longer works with our system maybe a change in how Truenas handles ACL's and permissions and our domain no longer complies. I'll look a bit deeper into the things your pointed out and see if there is any issues, I know I already went through a bunch of documentations and troubleshooting questions here in this forum before posting anything and many of them went through setting up user access. I thought I had it right but I'll double check.

hoglandadmin

Cadet
So after spending all afternoon looking into these topics I cannot for the life of me find any reason why it isn't working. I do have a debug file I can include if I'm told what file in the debug I should include or just attach all of it. Thanks again for everyone's help.