How to set up separate, shared and read-only-shared files

Bananas

Cadet
Hello, I'm a complete TrueNAS CORE/file management beginner. I've installed TrueNAS CORE on a PC and hope to use it as a home file server in the following manner:
  1. I want to enable several users to access TrueNAS-served files from several Windows PCs (Win10/11) on my home network. Each user logs onto a Windows PC with a Microsoft account; each user can use any of the Windows PCs.
  2. Each user has a private set of files and folders on the TrueNAS server that none of the other users can see/access.
  3. There are shared files and folders all users can access.
  4. Each user can (with the help of the TrueNAS admin if needed) provide a read-only view into a subset of their files/folders to any other users. With "read-only view" I mean the equivalent of symlinks through which files/folders can be read, but not written.
  5. Though not necessary, it would be great if the private and shared files/folders and the read-only views could part of the Windows C:\User folder structure (e.g. mapped into C:\Users\A\PrivateStuffOnTrueNAS, C:\Users\Public\SharedStuffOnTrueNAS, C:\Users\A\SharedWithUserB).
I'd appreciate any tips on which TrueNAS and perhaps Windows PC concepts (datasets, ACLs, groups ...) should be combined to achieve the desired features. FWIW, I know how to create different user accounts on TrueNAS and how to map TrueNAS datasets as network drives with the respective user credentials. What I'm uncertain about is how I can achieve the shared folders and read-only views, and potentially mount them into the C:\Users directory tree.

Thanks,
Andreas.

TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1, i5-4590, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD boot drive, 1TB storage drive

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Since your hardware description is a bit vague (please read forum rules), I can only guess that you are using a single drive for the data. This is very risky and you should go for a mirror instead.

Bananas

Cadet
Since your hardware description is a bit vague (please read forum rules), I can only guess that you are using a single drive for the data. This is very risky and you should go for a mirror instead.
Thanks for the response, Chris. Does the answer to my question depend on the number of disks I have? I'm aware that multi-disk RAID configs allow redundancy and increased security. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out if/how I can achieve the desired software configuration before making further hardware investments.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
No, my comment was independent from your question.