Moving from Synology to TrueNAS, alternatives to some Synology features?

Thundersnow

Cadet
Hello,

I'm thinking about moving from Synology to TrueNAS. The reasons are:
  • I'm using more and more docker containers and special configs like reverse proxy, etc, which makes me feel like I've reached the limits of the Synology software.
  • I'm tired of paying way too much for very poor hardware, with tons of limitations and "recommendations" like buying Synology-branded SSDs to use them as a volume
  • I'd like more freedom in the way I manage my apps/files

Now, here's what I currently have:
  • Multiple users accessing file in their home folder via SMB, FTP and Synology Drive (used to sync some folders in the home folder)
  • Other shared folders using by different apps, and accessed by some users but not all
  • Synology Notes
  • Synology Contacts
  • Synology Calendar
  • Synology Photos
  • Download Station
  • Web Station
  • Docker, with multiple containers running
  • Hyper Backup, backing everything up to C2 Cloud
I think I could find an alternative in most cases. But what I really like with my current configuration is that I can sync/share/have versioning on a specific folder using Synology Drive, but also access it through SMB. All user data are stored in their home folder. Some users have access to other folders.

My question is the following: how can I have something similar with TrueNAS? I know NextCloud is similar to Synology Drive, but it doesn't sync home folders and doesn't seem like accessing data through smb is a good idea.

Bonus question: what the best way to save/upload pictures from the phone into user folders?

Thank you very much!