Trying to decide on a NAS (giving up on Synology)

I have two synology NAS units and have been happy with them BUT I don't like where they are heading with only support for OEM drives. That said, this is what I'm trying to do:

I want a new 12 bay (preferably rack mount) NAS with 10 gb ethernet.

In 2024, should I

Get Synology (thinking rs2423+and use unapproved drives (I would ideally use Iron Wolf Pro 20tb)
Move to TrueNas (The TrueNas Mini R looks ideal) (would it work with the above drives?)
Get Synology but stick with their drives (probably not in my budget to do so at this time).

I only want it to be a file server (mostly large RAW photos and videos). I don't need it to do anything else. I will be using it with both mac and windows.
I plan to initially use 4 bays populated with 20tb each raid 10 The second four bays will likely be JBOD for now and the final four for future expansion

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Move to TrueNas (The TrueNas Mini R looks ideal) (would it work with the above drives?)
They don't seem to show up on the QVL at the moment, but there are no artificial restrictions. I expect that the Mini R is capable of cooling any 3.5" SATA HDD, it is mostly the tower Minis that can struggle in some scenarios.