Permissions issues trying to write to Truenas from Synology using Rsync

Roaders

Dabbler
Hi All
I used this video from @SpaceRex to setup a new dataset, add a user and setup an rsync module:
but when I try and configure hyperbackup on my synology I get an error when clicking Done:

1696082756691.png

I think that I have done everyone mentioned in the video but obviously I've missed a step. I did setup an SMB share and managed to copy files to that using the synology user that I setup so I suspect it's something to do with the Rsync setup.

RSync:
1696082861348.png

Dataset:
1696082906098.png

any help much appreciated. Thanks

It's "either-or".

Either you configure the rsync task on Synology, or you configure it on TrueNAS. Not both.

Assuming you wish to go the route of a "push" from Synology to TrueNAS, then you configure the task on Synology only, and apply the following:

If your target is via an Rsync Module, you can set this up on TrueNAS -> Services -> Rsync -> Modules

If your target is via SSH, you only need to make sure you've configured SSH on TrueNAS, and that the username supplied (in Synology's rsync task) has sufficient permissions.)

Your screenshots imply that you're trying to configure an rsync task on both servers.

Roaders

Dabbler
It's "either-or".

Either you configure the rsync task on Synology, or you configure it on TrueNAS. Not both.

Assuming you wish to go the route of a "push" from Synology to TrueNAS, then you configure the task on Synology only, and apply the following:

If your target is via an Rsync Module, you can set this up on TrueNAS -> Services -> Rsync -> Modules

If your target is via SSH, you only need to make sure you've configured SSH on TrueNAS, and that the username supplied (in Synology's rsync task) has sufficient permissions.)

Your screenshots imply that you're trying to configure an rsync task on both servers.
No, I am trying to setup an rsync module on truenas and a hyper backup rsync task on synology. When I try to do this I get the permission error. Screenshots are of rsync module config and the dataset comfig

Can you show the full page (or all steps) for configuring an rsync task in Synology? Does it offer the option of "module" vs "SSH"?

My hunch is that it's defaulting to SSH, and hence the Modules on TrueNAS are not in play.

I also notice you have a "space" in your Module name. I'd remove the space, so it looks something like this:
synology-backup

Looking at the documentation for "Hyper Backup", it seems they hide some of the underlying nuance when configuring a backup task.

Did you select "Transfer encryption" in the setup's previous page? Better yet, sharing the entire page(s) will help.

Last edited:

Roaders

Dabbler
The issue was obviously a PEBCAK issue...
I must have had the password for the user wrong when setting up in Synology. I had assumed that if it loaded the list of rsync modules correctly then the user info was correct.

Thanks for the replies