rtl8139d driver in nas

Status
Not open for further replies.

flox122

Cadet
hello
i just found out about nas recntlly , and i want it to install it, i came across a problem with the driver , but i googled around and found the ddriver for my rtl8139d driver online. so then when i try to install the driver through the shell in nas i do this steps:

Code:
first i mount the flash drive

mount_msdosfs /dev/da2s1 /mnt

then i copy the files

cp /mnt/rtl8139/if_rl.ko /boot/modules

but i get error that /boot/modules is read only file.

i tried using su
then do the cp but still i get the same error

any help will be appreciated 

D

dlavigne

That chipset should be covered by the built-in rl driver. Post the output of ifconfig within code tags.

flox122

Cadet
FreeNAS is distributed as an appliance image that isn't designed to be modified.

thanks man i got it you helped me go to the next step.

That chipset should be covered by the built-in rl driver. Post the output of ifconfig within code tags.
that what i thought but then i read the tag on the card its self i found out its (rtl8139d) not (rtl8139)

now the new problem is when i do kldload the if_rl.ko i get this erorr.

Code:
link_elf: symbol m_gethdr undefined 

so am guessing i need to do something before i just copy the driver to /boot/kernel folder?

any ideas

JohnKnee

Dabbler
There is an easier way to kldload that module via Freenas itself called Tunables (see documentation for help). Basically you add the module as a tunable and the value that is usually put in the quotation marks (usually "YES"). You then enable it and reboot the system. This should then automatically load the module. Make sure you don't have any typo's or it may halt/crash the system.

Also if it does not work, you will have to fix it via the Loader prompt. See http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Tunables. My trick is to clone two USB drives so that both have the same info and then modify one. IF one fails, I just plug the other one to get the system back to its previous state without all the Loader prompt hassles.

flox122

Cadet
thanks for everyone who tried to help, i will change the nic with one that is compatible with freenas

thanks again.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Go with Intel. They are great with FreeNAS!

flox122

Cadet
btw just for your info cyberjock i was waiting for you to replay , or post dont know why :p may be cuz for your avatar :p

Status
Not open for further replies.