rsync to Freenas Box failing due to filenames

Status
Not open for further replies.

trek102

Dabbler
I am trying to backup a few Shared folders from a Synology box to Freenas via rsync but rsync has some kind of problem with receiving the data. The link is established and some directories get backed up fine but then rsync fails with an error message about "file name too long" or "file name not allowed". I did the same backup to other boxes (not Freenas) and it worked fine. It must be something with the Freenas rsync implementation that is failing with certain filenames.
Any ideas?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sounds like your file names are too long for the Synology. It could also be a limitation of the rsync protocol. I don't know. I know ZFS has no limitation on file and folder names so you definitely can't blame ZFS.

Windows is limited to 254 characters or something, so it could be that Synology is simply choosing to limit itself to that limitation since they may expect the user to be a Windows user.

trek102

Dabbler
Well the strange thing is that I performed the same task [Synology backup via rsync to Iomega box] and it worked. Only when I do the same backup and chose as destination the Freenas server, then rsync fails. It must have something to do with the rsync implementation in Freenas.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know then. I've never had your problem nor have many people complained about this problem(if any).

Status
Not open for further replies.