windows to FreeNAS rsync permission problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

maks

Cadet
Hi there,

I'm new to FreeNAS, first post here :)
I just built a backup server machine using spare computer parts, and I installed FreeNAS on a thumb drive. So far all went very smoothly, and I really like the FreeNAS configuration interface. The main purpose of this machine is to do a regular backup from my 2 Windows 7 machines to the FreeNAS server, using rsync (and cygwin). I already had a successful rsync backup running on and to a dedicated Linux based d-link dns-323 NAS box before. With my FreeNAS system I run into the following problem: I have setup my zfs volume (problem is the same with ufs), set up a cifs share and set up the rsync service. I can access the shared volume in windows without a problem. When I manually copy things from windows to the shared volume everything is fine too. However, when I copy things to the shared folder using rsync, I can't access those files/folders from Windows, I get a permission denied... The rsync server in FreeNAS and my script in Windows are using my windows user name and password, which I also added to FreeNAS. The problem seems to clearly come from my rsync setup, but I can't figure out what it is... Any idea?

Thanks!

maks

Cadet
Hi again,

I attached some screenshots of my user settings, volume permissions, CIFS share settings and rsync module settings, to better illustrate my problem. The user is part of the data1 group, in case you wonder.

On the windows side I use the following command to copy some test files over:

C:\Cygwin\bin\rsync -vrtz --password-file=c:\cygwin\secret --delete /cygdrive/c/Temp maks@FREENAS::PCBackup

The secret file contains my username and password in the correct form.

The copied "Temp" folder on my BkpVolume is not accessible in windows, permission denied. I have to reset permissions recursively for the volume in FreeNAS to be able to access it again from within windows. Also, since the permission of the copied folder get screwed up, no actual files are copied to the folder in the rsync process.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• CIFS_share.jpg
    CIFS_share.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 394
  • Rsync_module.jpg
    Rsync_module.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 404
  • user_setting.jpg
    user_setting.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 389
  • volume_permissions.jpg
    volume_permissions.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 393

ProtoSD

MVP
I just posted this in another thread. Have you tried using -a?

-a, --archive archive mode; equals -rlptgoD (no -H,-A,-X)

It is a quick way of saying you want recursion and want to preserve almost everything (with -H being a notable omission).

the specified attributes (default: mode,ownership,timestamps), if possible additional attributes: context, links, xattr, all

CIFS/Samba tends to muck things up sometimes, but see if -a helps.

maks

Cadet
Hi, thanks for your reply! I'll try this tonight, and I'll let you know :)

maks

Cadet
Hi,

I tried it with in archive mode, with -a, but alas, same problem... :-/ I also tried with the -p flag, same thing. I then added "auth users = maks" to the auxiliary parameters of the rsync module in FreeNAS, thinking this might be the problem, since I had that line in my previous NAS's rsyncd.conf file. But now I get "password file must not be other-accessible" in the dos command window, although the secret file is set to chmod 600... I'm starting to desperate here... :(

maks

Cadet
Ok, I just set the user in the rsync module to root and added root to the data1 group (along with my windows username), and now the backup process doesn't give any errors anymore, and all files get copied. But I still can't access them in windows, also in archive mode...

maks

Cadet
I can't be the only one wanting to copy from windows (7) to FreeNAS using rsync...? Anyone with a successful setup mind to share? :)

andyzee

Cadet
hello there!!!

I can't be the only one wanting to copy from windows (7) to FreeNAS using rsync...? Anyone with a successful setup mind to share? :)

I ran in to kinda the same problem im looking to back up my 7 (mainly media) and i cant seem to get a good answer or a way to do it with out any issues. I hit a road block

maks

Cadet
Sorry to hear that... Since I can't find help with this, I'm about to abandon FreeNAS just because of this issue, which saddens me, because otherwise I really like it... :-/

maks

Cadet
Thanks for your input mr_ozzy :) Althought I am running my NAS under Windows XP now, I might eventually give it another try at some point...

Status
Not open for further replies.