Rsync push task fails with Delete option selected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek Humes

Dabbler
Hi, I have searched the forums but have been unable to find any other information on this error I am seeing.

I am currently running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U4 (27ae72978)

I have an Rsync job that runs to copy a directory from my FreeNAS box to a volume located on a machine in my office. This job works correctly if I do NOT have the Delete option selected in the Rsync task configurations. However, if I enabled the Delete option, the job fails to start, and /var/log/messages indicates failure to start due to an rsync syntax error.

I am fairly new to FreeNAS, FreeBSD, and generally all Unix/Linux.

Is there somewhere else I should be looking for more logging information?

Thank you,

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Could you share some more information about what it is you are doing? Are both of these systems running the same version of FreeNAS?
Are you configuring the rsync through the GUI?
Can you give the exact text of the error as that might help determine the cause?

Derek Humes

Dabbler
The other system is a Mac Mini with an attached USB external hard drive. I am using Rsync to push copy the contents of this directory daily to the externally attached usb drive.

Yes I am configuring Rsync through the GUI.

Code:
 Sep 18 12:00:00 KCANPFNAS001 rsync: rsync: on remote machine: --delete-delay: un
known option																	
Sep 18 12:00:00 KCANPFNAS001 rsync: rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1)
at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-47/rsync/main.c(1
333) [server=2.6.9]															 
Sep 18 12:00:00 KCANPFNAS001 rsync: rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 byt
es received so far) [sender]													
Sep 18 12:00:00 KCANPFNAS001 rsync: rsync error: error in rsync protocol data st
ream (code 12) at io.c(226) [sender=3.1.2]

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is this error showing up on the Apple side or on the FreeNAS side?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Take a look at the Apple documentation for rsync:
https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/rsync.1.html
They did not implement the --delete-delay functionality.
FreeNAS, on the other hand, uses the FreeBSD version of rsync:
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi...ath=FreeBSD+8.0-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html
The two software packages are not exactly the same, so what is happening is that FreeNAS is telling the Apple to do something that the Apple doesn't know how to do.
That is why there is an error. It is exactly what it says, "--delete-delay: unknown option"...

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You could try to get those guys at Apple to update their software.

Derek Humes

Dabbler
If the GUI delete option is specifying --delete-delay by default, could I in theory then use the "Extra options" box in the GUI Rsync task to add simply --delete, or --delete-after, as the mac documentation you referenced probably would prefer?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If the GUI delete option is specifying --delete-delay by default, could I in theory then use the "Extra options" box in the GUI Rsync task to add simply --delete, or --delete-after, as the mac documentation you referenced probably would prefer?
That is something I have not tried. I hope someone else can comment. @Ericloewe ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't know, I don't use rsync, so I'm not at all familiar with its options.

Status
Not open for further replies.