Rsync issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Traub

Cadet
The following rsync command works in the freenas shell:
rsync -n /mnt/Storage -e ssh root@192.168.1.100:/raid0/data/_NAS_NFS_Exports_/STORAGE

However, when I break that information down and enter it in the Rsync tasks area, I get this error:
  • The Remote Path you specified does not exist or is not a directory.
    Either create one yourself on the remote machine or uncheck the
    'rsync_validate_rpath' field.
    **Note**: This could also happen if the remote path entered
    exceeded 255 characters and was truncated, please restrict it to
    255. Or it could also be that your SSH credentials (remote host,etc) are wrong.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I'm using FreeNAS 9.10.1-U4

Thanks,

Andrew

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Is the Thecus up and running when you click the button to save the settings?

Can you ssh root@192.168.1.100 from FreeNAS without having to enter a password? And then cd /raid0/data/_NAS_NFS_Exports_/STORAGE?

Andrew Traub

Cadet
Thanks - I think I got it working by exporting the private key from the Thecus machine and then placing it into the Freenas machine. Previously, I had gone the reverse route, exporting from Freenas and importing to Thecus per the Freenas documentation.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
That's puzzling. For user U to connect from server A to server B, the normal method is to create a key pair for U on A and then append U's public key from A to U's authorized_keys file on B.

Anyway, glad you got it working.

smartlab

Cadet
Hello, i'm having the same problem.
I'm trying to backup data FROM freenas to THECUS using rsync.
i can connect ssh to thecus from freenas shell but it asks for a password so i suppose the problem is with the keys.

I can export public and private key from thecus but it's not clear to me where to put them on freenas. Or should i create the keys in freenas and export them into thecus? In this case which is the correct procedure to create the keys?

Thanks a lot!

smartlab

Cadet
ok i managed to connect from putty to thecus with a private key (i had to convert from openssh to ppk since putty wants ppk). I got this key from thecus. Now the questions are, where do i have to save this key in freenas? Do i have to use the key as is or do i have to convert it to ppk (i suppose better leave it as is)

smartlab

Cadet
When i access ssh the thecus nas with WINSCP or PUTTY i need to export the private key from the thecus nas and save it somewhere on my pc and then specify the path in putty or winscp. In other words the one who acccesses needs the private key owned by the one who is accessed. Even if i read the documentation (freenas to freenas) saying what Robert T. says i suppose that in my case i have to put the private key somewhere in freenas since i want freenas to start a connection and write the backups (with a rsync task) on the thecus nas.

QUESTIONs:
1) where to put the private key in freenas?
2) which type of ssh key is ok for freenas? (thecus has a ssh-dss key)
3) is the key ok in the openssh format or freenas wants ppk?

Thanks for your reply robert

smartlab

Cadet
QUESTIONs:
1) where to put the private key in freenas?
2) which type of ssh key is ok for freenas? (thecus has a ssh-dss key)
3) is the key ok in the openssh format or freenas wants ppk?

i got it:

1) /root/.ssh
2) ok dsa
3 ok openssh

Status
Not open for further replies.