Rsync 2 machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

arameen

Contributor
I am migrating from NAS4free wher ei have my data to FreeNAS where i want my data to move. I dont want to export or improt any pools. I have already 2 phsical machines.
So i guess rSync is the best way to transfer the data between those ?
I tried following the freenas guide to pull and push the data between those but it didnt work. any advice? is there any issues with rsync regarding cataloug structure ?

Should i use FTP instead? i took a look at the ftp but coudlnt figur out how to use it

both machines are on LAN and blocked from going on the net, so it is secure to transfer between.

arameen

Contributor
one of the worse ones :(
Rsync between my Nas4Free to my freeNAS never worked. So i have been transfering files for days i windoes 7 using terracopy and freefilesync, sometimes CRC checking them. But it should have been easier and faster than that way.

I am missing some menus in my GUI. Page 67 of 280 in the manual "4.4.1 Creating an Rsync Task" is nowehere in my GUI. I suspect something went wrong with the USB image installation of freeNAS. What else could explain some GUI menues missing ?

So I am planning on getting an external DVD writer to install freeNAS on USB using a CD/DVD. Hopefully there is no problems using an exteranl DVD player with freeNAS ?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Rsync has always worked fine for me. I even migrated data from a nas4free box to a FreeNAS box about a year ago.

arameen

Contributor
Rsync has always worked fine for me. I even migrated data from a nas4free box to a FreeNAS box about a year ago.
How did that go? any issues with windoespermisions not inheritated, treestructure lost or anything else ?

I guess my issue is my installation of FreeNAS. As mentioned i am missing some parts of the GUI, inlcudes the one ralted to Rsync. Going to reinstall at to see if i get everythign this time.

Can anyone confirm if freeNAS got any issues with reading or booting from an external DVD writer ?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Windows boxes are a minority in my house so I don't use windows acls. Never had to worry about permissions while using rsync

gpsguy

Can anyone confirm if freeNAS got any issues with reading or booting from an external DVD writer ?

Should be ok - that's how I did it on my production server.

Sent from my phone

arameen

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.