Root password no longer works on web UI. I definitely am using the correct password. I reset it using the keyboard, but want to understand ...

david001

Cadet
Root password no longer works on web UI. I definitely am using the correct password. I reset it using the keyboard, but want to understand what happened for security concerns.

The root password was what I use and I had it written down and saved in my browser. I am sure it was working about a week or two ago. Same password. I was unable to login via the web UI, but easily reset it using the keyboard with the screen console. So that is not my problem. I would like to know what happened as far as the password either being changed or possibly expiring. I am concerned there was unauthorized access to the NAS from outside the network. I am the only user using the NAS. I did not have VPN enabled, and as far as I know, no ports from outside are forwarded to the NAS through the router.

Does the root password ever expire or is there some other reason the password would fail to work? I appreciate any info/ advice.

Platform: Generic

Version:
TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1

bhavik

Dabbler
@david001 I would like to share what I recently experienced and noticed on a similar topic.

I changed the root password from the shell using a "passwd" command and assumed the same would be also applicable for Web GUI login. However, I noticed that was not the case and I was able to login to the Web GUI only with my old password for "root" account.

So looks like the shell password for "root" is different from the Web GUI password and to change the Web GUI password for "root" I was able to do it from Web GUI per the attached image.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• TrueNAS_WebGUI_PasswordChange.png
    TrueNAS_WebGUI_PasswordChange.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 410

david001

Cadet
@david001 I would like to share what I recently experienced and noticed on a similar topic.

I changed the root password from the shell using a "passwd" command and assumed the same would be also applicable for Web GUI login. However, I noticed that was not the case and I was able to login to the Web GUI only with my old password for "root" account.

So looks like the shell password for "root" is different from the Web GUI password and to change the Web GUI password for "root" I was able to do it from Web GUI per the attached image.

Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks very much for the reply and info.

For me, I was unable to login to the Web GUI with the root password. Actually I also had another user account with a saved password and was unable to login with that as well. I did change it from the 7 option on what I think is called the "console". That is the options displayed on the output of the video card from the NAS itself and usable through a keyboard connected directly to the NAS.

I am in, but really at a loss as to what occurred and am concerned there was someone accessing the NAS, but it would have had to have been remotely.

I've noticed copy/paste funny-ness when trying to use the new (new to me) webUI shell.

Not that this is specific to FreeBSD or TrueNAS, but: I have also spent countless hours trying to figure out what went wrong after I used the incorrect password that I was sure was correct. I am not saying that was your case, just that it can happen and does so for me on a semi-regular basis (I blame ADHD).

Redcoat

MVP
I've noticed copy/paste funny-ness when trying to use the new (new to me) webUI shell
Copy/paste is known issue.. Solution is to SSH in and use the copy/paste function in your terminal app.

Redcoat

MVP
Actually I also had another user account with a saved password and was unable to login with that as well.
By design, only a root account login gives access the GUI.

david001

Cadet
Hi, thanks so much for the replies. As for the copy paste, I did type in as well as used the only one saved in my browser. I'll have to think more about what could have occurred on my end in terms of user error if there are no expirations for passwords or if there is no logical explanation for what could have occurred.

Redcoat

MVP

Redcoat

MVP

david001

Cadet
Arew you still on

If so, perhaps this bug fix for U2 details what you experienced? https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-106588

I suggest that you update. Note that the latest version has a cosmetic issue with the CPU widget on the dashboard. Don't fret about it - it is only cosmetic and should be fixed in U5.

Hi Redcoat, thank you for the link.

Yes, I am still on the listed Version.

What you linked possibly could have been the issue, although I did type in the password a couple of times in attempts to login as well as used the auto complete from the saved passwords in my browser. I think in all cases, I hit enter to proceed and did not click on a web ui button though. I might be mistaken on that, but it sounds like the bug you linked is what was encountered.