TNS 23.10.1.3 [release[ No Option to SSH as root w/password

ETS_FTW

Cadet
Thanks in Advance.

As the title states. There is no longer an option to choose this. I have tried:

-Adding root, admin, and wheel groups to the SSH service
-Checked the box for "Allow Password Authentication" in the SSH Service
-Logged into the Web GUI as admin AND root, accessed the shell, and modified 2 lines in the sshd_config file to yes:

Code:
PermitRootLogin without-password
PasswordAuthentication no

I am fully aware that using keys is the "correct way" to do this, however, the FreeNAS API in Proxmox does not give this as an option when setting up ZFS over iSCSI. This option existed in the last version of Cobia.

ETS_FTW

Cadet
To clarify — changing the sshd_config file was unsuccessful. The system would undo the changes i made after restarting the service.

Whattteva

Wizard
Did you restart the SSH service?

danb35

Hall of Famer
This option existed in the last version of Cobia.
I don't think so; the options don't appear to be any different between 23.10.1 and 23.10.1.3. But if this is functionality you need, file a ticket--link's at the top of the page.

ETS_FTW

Cadet
I don't think so; the options don't appear to be any different between 23.10.1 and 23.10.1.3. But if this is functionality you need, file a ticket--link's at the top of the page.
I will file a ticket, appreciate your response.

However, we just had this working on 10.1.1. So something changed. ‍

ETS_FTW

Cadet
If this really worked with 23.10.1.1, reverting to that seems a much less drastic measure.

Totally agree (and it did work...wish I had screenshots). This is a brand new deployment in a small environment, the there was nothing to lose. I would like to report that with Bluefin installed (which we had not tried b4), the setup and implementation went smooth and the ZFS over iSCSI is working.

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
Have you checked the root account has the SSH password login enabled checkbox checked?
1706823760570.png

ETS_FTW

Cadet
:oops:

Would someone on 10.1.1 confirm that is where it is in that version?

A couple of us are looking at each other in disbelief. Its been a long 2 weeks -- it is absolutely possible we enabled that there before upgrading to 10.1.3.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Would someone on 10.1.1 confirm that is where it is in that version?
I can confirm that checkbox is there in 23.10.1.1.

ETS_FTW

Cadet
Thank you all. Bit embarrassed, but good to know it is there moving forward. Appreciate the help.