Riddle me this

Wolfy01

Cadet
OK my patience with this system is bringing me to a boil. We set up TrueNAS on a PC basically to use it as a mass storage device for movies, music, etc. We have myself and my Partner set up on it with absolute FULL permissions to do whatever we want in this thing. Currently I'm able to access the drive one one PC, and not another despite having the exact same credentials an mapping in place for the drive to be fully accessible on any pc. I'm beginning to feel like this program is the hard way around what should be a dirt simple thing - a common access point for all of our shared movies. What is causing this to deny access from one machine despite being fully accessible to others with the exact same credentials? I'm ready to pull the plug on this and let the windows virus do the work if this continues to be a thorn in my side like this.

Davvo

MVP
I don't know, I can't read your mind or see your ACL from here. I could take your text and rewrite it as a riddle though: hardly useful but entertaining.

Last edited:

Heracles

Wizard
No error message, no setting, no info about things you tested and the result, ... There is nothing we can do from that post.

To troubleshoot such situation, I usually proceed from lowest ISO network layers to the highest. Also, because you have 2 clients with different end results, do each test twice, once per host, and compare the results. For each test, bring back the error message / result when failed.
So can you ping the TrueNAS IP address system from both ?
Can you connect to its web interface from both ?
Can you connect the TCP port of your file sharing service (eg: 2049 for NFS) ?
Can you connect your share from first system ? If yes, disconnect it before trying to connect it from the second.
Can you connect the same share twice (one per client) at the same time ?

You have to help yourself a little more before we can help you.

Davvo

MVP
This system is making me boil,
full permissions is what I've been doin'
one place is working, the other is not;
I just wanted our movies,
but it's making my brain rot!
Considering windows my head aches
please send help,
I scream: yelp!​

Wolfy01

Cadet
As requested. This is from two different PC's with identical credentials. same login and password for both. Literally this morning the one now giving this issue was running just fine. This is what's making me mad. It make less than zero sense to me why this issue exists.

Attachments

• 1701549798681.JPEG
    1701549798681.JPEG
    59.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 1701549798703.JPEG
    1701549798703.JPEG
    77.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 1701549798713.JPEG
    1701549798713.JPEG
    112.1 KB · Views: 57

Wolfy01

Cadet
Tried to go via the web address and it just sits and spins. So, I rebooted the thing and now I get this:

Attachments

• 1701551199223.JPEG
    1701551199223.JPEG
    246.8 KB · Views: 54

danb35

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
IT IS the free version
It's still TrueNAS. FreeNAS ended with the 11.x release series; everything since then is TrueNAS and has its own section in the forums.

@Patrick M. Hausen, this might be part of your answer.

Heracles

Wizard
As @danb35 mentioned, it looks like a failed boot device in your TrueNAS. One possibility is that your first system connected the share before the failure prevented the system to function properly. Because its session is already established, it can access the resources more directly. Because of that failed device, your system was not working normally anymore and the second client was unable to complete the connection,

So first thing will be to re-install on a new boot device and restore your backed up config if you have or learn about the importance of backups if you have not. If you have no backups, you will have to re-configure everything. The data pool is still intact and can be imported. Do not re-create it from scratch or that will effectively destroy everything that is saved in it as of now.

Also, it will be good to know why that boot device failed and protect yourself against that. USB sticks are not recommended anymore as boot devices. If you have only this, at least have 2 of them in mirrors to help mitigate the risk.

Davvo

MVP
windows bootable if I remove the USB stick
So you have installed TN on the USB stick? You don't want an external USB stick as your boot drive, especially on a laptop.