Permissions keep reverting

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so i have a computer with FreeNAS 9.1.1 installed. It is on my home network. Its just for myself and my wife. We have 2 macs, a PC and a boxee box. I just want everything accessible to everyone. I have one volume. Its owner is root and the group is wheel. I have set all permissions to 777 and told it to set permissions recursively.

I can get a lecture on security later...but my problem is this. Permissions seem to revert after a while. Sometimes an hour, sometimes a day. All of a sudden I can't delete a file, or one of my plugins doesn't have access. I do the whole 777/recursive thing again and its fine.

Am I going crazy? What is the easiest no-fuss way to have everyone on my network have access to everything.

Dan

PaLmeTTo_X

Cadet
I had that same problem. I changed my volume acl to windows from unix > set recursively. Even then i noticed that some of the files would not have 777 after creating new files. I am not sure if it is a bug or not but. So i used windows based program winscp program to ssh to the box...logged in as root. Once in the program I went to the highest shared folder level and set permissions there to 777, checked box for subfolders also. Mine is good now.

Erwin

Dabbler
...So i used windows based program winscp program to ssh to the box...logged in as root. Once in the program I went to the highest shared folder level and set permissions there to 777, checked box for subfolders also. Mine is good now.

Had the same issue: I did upgrades over a while through the various FreeNAS versions with existing ZFS volumes with Windows ACL (=Extended ACLs). All worked fine during the upgrades until I now tried to change permissions via the GUI. It seems that you cannot set Windows ACLs any longer, and in the case that you do a change, it removes write access for the owner and read accesss for the group...
I changed the volume recursively to the appropriate Unix ACL definition via the GUI, then it worked (after a reboot...)
So the GUI allows you to do a similar function as a chmod -R 777, but it fails to do something like a setfacl ... for extended ACLs. So may be that the python scripts of the GUI are incomplete at this point, just a guess.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.