Reuse old Supermicro X10SRH-CF

CzarofAK

Dabbler
Dear all,
i finally bought some old test HW, including a X10SRH-CF.
Now i am thinking to actually use that MB in my final installation as the specs read pretty decent, even in year 2023...
Do you guys have experience with such old HW? And, would it be a big issue to port that installation over to a new machine in the future (in case the MB dies)?

Using similar hardware to this day.. In fact I have and use several X10 boards, great for pfSense too, the older hardware. Best use case for me personally is to use this machine for everything filer related and offload plex to a more capable machine with new gen quicksync video via NFS shares.. Rock solid.

blanchet

Guru
X10SRH-CF is an ideal motherboard for TrueNAS because it has a built-in SAS3008 HBA.
iXsystems has used this motherboard in their FreeNAS-certified series at least until 2018. (I operate such a server).

Ooh that is rad, theres alot of variations no doubt. I also use one as work station this very moment it is incredibly reliable. Has a Xeon with quicksync, still rocks.

Etorix

Wizard
And, would it be a big issue to port that installation over to a new machine in the future (in case the MB dies)?
There's no reason why the motherboard would die anytime soon.
If that happens, move the drives to a new motherboard (including boot drive). Check/redo network configuration. Done.

CzarofAK

Dabbler
Thanks guy for the quick a d supportive responses!
So i plan to keep that board and start buying the HW around that.
The only additional question i have is, which rams can i buy? it seems like the guy has a collection in there (3x16GB, 1x32GB)...

Up to 1TB† ECC 3DS LRDIMM, up to DDR4- 2400†MHz; 8 DIMM slots