Restore TimeMachine backup

mrjoli021

Explorer
I am currently using TrueNas as a TimeMachine backup for my MAC. I am also syncing the backup to a S3 Service provider. Both of these are working correctly. My problem is that I have restored my S3 TimeMachine backup to a new DataSet on a different pool to test the restore process. The Mac now does not recognize that dataset as a TimeMachine backup. Is there something special I need to do for the Mac to recognize as a TimeMachine back?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am currently using TrueNas as a TimeMachine backup for my MAC. I am also syncing the backup to a S3 Service provider. Both of these are working correctly. My problem is that I have restored my S3 TimeMachine backup to a new DataSet on a different pool to test the restore process. The Mac now does not recognize that dataset as a TimeMachine backup. Is there something special I need to do for the Mac to recognize as a TimeMachine back?
There are a few areas where this can break down:
1) mDNS server is not advertising the SMB share via adisk SRV records. You can use dns-sd -L to do this from Mac:
Code:
Andrews-MacBook-Pro:~ awalker$ dns-sd -L homenas _adisk._tcp.
Lookup homenas._adisk._tcp..local
DATE: ---Wed 03 Aug 2022---
12:50:08.229  ...STARTING...
12:50:08.449  homenas._adisk._tcp.local. can be reached at homenas.local.:9 (interface 5)
 sys=waMa=0,adVF=0x100 dk0=adVN=TM_SMB,adVF=0x82,adVU=c398844e-5eb1-495c-8502-16566d867f1f dk1=adVN=tmprotect,adVF=0x82,adVU=a264f474-8611-419a-a6b7-57c071a61600
12:50:08.484  homenas._adisk._tcp.local. can be reached at homenas.local.:9 (interface 6)
 sys=waMa=0,adVF=0x100 dk0=adVN=TM_SMB,adVF=0x82,adVU=c398844e-5eb1-495c-8502-16566d867f1f dk1=adVN=tmprotect,adVF=0x82,adVU=a264f474-8611-419a-a6b7-57c071a61600

2) SMB share is not flagged as OSX share. You can mount the share and run smbutil statshares -a you may have to sudo if time machine is connected:
Code:
Andrews-MacBook-Pro:~ awalker$ sudo smbutil statshares -a

==================================================================================================
SHARE                         ATTRIBUTE TYPE                VALUE
==================================================================================================
tmprotect                     
                              SERVER_NAME                   homenas._smb._tcp.local.
                              USER_ID                       0
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED
                              SMB_VERSION                   SMB_3.1.1
                              SMB_SHARE_TYPE                DISK
                              SIGNING_SUPPORTED             TRUE
                              EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED   TRUE
                              UNIX_SUPPORT                  TRUE
                              LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED          TRUE
                              OS_X_SERVER                   TRUE
                              FILE_IDS_SUPPORTED            TRUE
                              DFS_SUPPORTED                 TRUE
                              FILE_LEASING_SUPPORTED        TRUE
                              MULTI_CREDIT_SUPPORTED        TRUE

3) Your cloud backup is stripping relevant time machine metadata. This often happens with backup providers (stripping metadata).