TImeMachine issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Hey all. So I had followed a walkthrough for setting up TimeMachine and it worked for all of 1 day on my wifes macbook pro and 2 days on my macbook pro. It just keeps searching for disk. unsure as to what went wrong or why it stopped. First time working with FreeNAS in any capacity so I have no clue where to even start looking. Doesn't seem like a lot of TimeMachine support is available when I search for things. Hopefully you guys can help me get this thing running properly. I appreciate all the help in advance!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hey all. So I had followed a walkthrough for setting up TimeMachine and it worked for all of 1 day on my wifes macbook pro and 2 days on my macbook pro. It just keeps searching for disk. unsure as to what went wrong or why it stopped. First time working with FreeNAS in any capacity so I have no clue where to even start looking. Doesn't seem like a lot of TimeMachine support is available when I search for things. Hopefully you guys can help me get this thing running properly. I appreciate all the help in advance!

Try restarting the AFP service on the FreeNAS server

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
I think that may have worked. What would be the reason why it stopped?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I think that may have worked. What would be the reason why it stopped?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Not sure. When you restart the AFP service it restarts the mdns service as well. Perhaps something happened that broke mdns advertisements for your machine. Can you post the contents of /var/log/middlewared.log and /var/log/afp.log?

You can get at them either via scp or by generating a debug "System" -> "Advanced" -> "Debug", then extracting its contents and looking inside the "log" folder.

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
Not sure. When you restart the AFP service it restarts the mdns service as well. Perhaps something happened that broke mdns advertisements for your machine. Can you post the contents of /var/log/middlewared.log and /var/log/afp.log?

You can get at them either via scp or by generating a debug "System" -> "Advanced" -> "Debug", then extracting its contents and looking inside the "log" folder.
So while its generating the debug file how would I get to var/log/middlewared.log and /var/log/afp.log?

Mike Guilmette

Explorer
The logs only show content from today so I am not sure they will be much help as this happened a few days ago. Next time it happens I will capture that data as soon as I become aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.