TimeMachine Backups Taking Forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadaunhe

Cadet
I am a total noob, so I will apologize in advance, if I should not have started a new thread. I searched everything, including the Guide, to the best of my ability and couldn't find an answer. I need some help with FreeNAS v8 backups of my Mac. I just configured my FreeNAS install. I was able to get thru the implementation of the AFS share. TimeMachine discovery worked as it should. My problem is that after two days, I have successfully backed up only 6.33 GB of the 135 GB I have on my new MacBook Pro. Should transfer rates be this slow? Or have I probably done something wrong. I have not tried backup my PCs yet, as I have another solution for those. Here are a few pieces of data:

AFS share configured as /mnt1/Mac1.
Logged in as "Guest".

FreeNAS hardware:
MSI 790FX Mobo
9550 Black Edition proc
12 GB main memory
1x500 GB disk for operating system
1x1.5 TB disk configured as PC CIFS share
1x750 GB disk configured as AFS share

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

sadaunhe

Cadet
I forgot to add that I am using 10/100 wired ethernet connection, not a wireless connection, tho both are available.

Log in to your freenas box locally or remotely over ssh and run ifconfig. Make sure your network interface is actually connected at the correct speed. We had major speed issues with timemachine backups and couldn't figure out why since the server was idle and the network was only transferring 5Mb/s. It turned out the link was connected at 10BaseT half duplex. We rebooted the switch and it renegotiated at 1000BaseT full duplex and now it runs great. We have 5 macs backing up to the same freenas 8.0.1 server, some with lion and some with snow leopard and it seems to work well. I'm guessing you have a similar network issue hiding somewhere.

sadaunhe

Cadet
Thanks for this info; I followed your suggestion, but it didn't solve my problem. Since I'm such a noob, I am betting I've done something other basic thing incorrectly. Decided to restore the factory defaults and start over. Thanks for trying to help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.