Restart/Shutdown missing?

PhilD13

Patron
Under the Power tab in the GUI (of Dragonfish) there is a Logout option but no restart or shutdown options. Is this by design? If it is, I think it is a very good idea, and if it isn't maybe it should be left this way. I know some server software does not expose the reboot or shutdown options in the GUI even to admins which is a good idea to prevent accidental reboots or shutdowns.

It's not a problem and I don't mind a bit of inconvenience as I can just go to the Truenas CLI and issue a #8 (Reboot) or #9 (Shutdown) or to the Linux command line, similar as I would on some other systems if the server needs a reboot or a shutdown.

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
@phil
Under the Power tab in the GUI (of Dragonfish) there is a Logout option but no restart or shutdown options. Is this by design? If it is, I think it is a very good idea, and if it isn't maybe it should be left this way. I know some server software does not expose the reboot or shutdown options in the GUI even to admins which is a good idea to prevent accidental reboots or shutdowns.

It's not a problem and I don't mind a bit of inconvenience as I can just go to the Truenas CLI and issue a #8 (Reboot) or #9 (Shutdown) or to the Linux command line, similar as I would on some other systems if the server needs a reboot or a shutdown.
Yes we are aware of this issue and will be addressed in the RC.1 release: https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-127221
As you already identified there is a workaround using the CLI.

PhilD13

Patron
Thanks for the response. I actually like that the Restart and shutdown are not directly available from the GUI, but I'm likely in the minority.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks for the response. I actually like that the Restart and shutdown are not directly available from the GUI, but I'm likely in the minority.

Restart and shutdown are restricted to UI users who have the FULL_ADMIN role. Generally if you want some junior admin to be able to create shares / datasets, but not have this ability, you can make them a member of the truenas_sharing_administrators group. Note that this feature is still experimental / in heavy development in the BETA release (so you may wish to hold off on testing until RC1).

Last edited:

PhilD13

Patron
That makes sense. Thanks for the input.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
That makes sense. Thanks for the input.
Right. Historically TrueNAS admin interfaces has been limited to single user. In DragonFish and later we're expanding to have a proper multi-user / RBAC protected middleware. As you can imagine this is a fairly large undertaking (more than just creating a "toor" / "admin" account, but the end result is that we'll be able to allow the NAS admin to safely delegate certain tasks to junior admins (or generally use a limited account for themselves).

murzik

Dabbler
I created admin user with Full admin role. Still reboot /shut down only avalible for root login.