Reporting - collectd

Status
Not open for further replies.

stadlereric

Dabbler
I am wanting to integrate a network monitoring system called Observium with the collectd reporting tool used in freenas. I have done this on other linux/unix systems but try to avoid modifying anything "under the hood" on my freenas server.

Typically on the clients collectd.conf file i would add something like this to the file:
LoadPlugin network
<Plugin network>
Server "1.2.3.4" "25826"
</Plugin>

Is there any harm in doing this on the freenas box? If no harm, can I enable other plug-ins to export that data as well to Observium. Specifically the NFS, ZFS_ARC, and HDDTEMP plugin data would be great to have.

If there is any other way to get this data out of freenas, i'm open to other ideas

Thanks in advance,

Knowltey

Patron
One option if it works for you application is to simply read the files off of the NAS as there is an option in the GUI (under the advanced system options if I remember correctly) to save the round robin database to the pool, at which point you could make a share pointing to it for reading purposes.

fracai

Guru
Reading the RRD files from the system dataset is what I do for my Collectd/Librato script.

Status
Not open for further replies.