replication setup failure - [large block] null not allowed - setting replicate from scratch

Brad T

Dabbler
I've upgraded from FreeNAS 9.10 to 11.3 and switched some jails from warden to iocage.

I replicated the warden jails to another server previously and am now trying to recreate the replication to move the iocage jail datasets now instead.

All servers are running FreeNAS 11.3-U5.

source: freenas03.local: vol01/iocage/jails/network253
destination: freenas02.local: vol01/Backups-remote-vm/freenas03/jails/network253

I've tried legacy, ssh and ssh+netcat replication methods.

Naturally the snapshots are not the same, so I want to wipe the old snapshots and move forward with iocage-based snaps only.

When I kick off the replication task manually, I get this error:

No incremental base on dataset 'vol01/iocage/jails/network253' and replication from scratch is not allowed.

which makes sense of course.

When I go into the replication task configuration and check the "Replicate from scratch if incremental is not possible" option,

I get this:

[large block] null not allowed.

Detail:

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 130, in call_method
    io_thread=False)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1084, in _call
    return await methodobj(*args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 402, in update
    f'{self._config.namespace}.update', self, self.do_update, [id, data]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1084, in _call
    return await methodobj(*args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 960, in nf
    args, kwargs = clean_and_validate_args(args, kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 918, in clean_and_validate_args
    value = attr.clean(args[args_index + i])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 594, in clean
    data[key] = attr.clean(value)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 370, in clean
    value = super().clean(value)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 76, in clean
    raise Error(self.name, 'null not allowed')
middlewared.schema.Error: [large_block] null not allowed

Keep in mind that the task was previously configured (so I assume there are no nulls in there!)

Any ideas or troubleshooting suggestions appreciated...

For bonus points and admiration... I have three servers so I am replicating the jail datasets on freenas03 to freenas01 and freenas02. I see that FreeNAS has created two additional snapshot tasks for each dataset/replication task... when there is already a top level recursive snapshot task for vol01/iocage. What the heck is going on? Why is FreeNAS proliferating (unnecessary?) snapshot tasks??!!

thanks... Brad

JaimieV

Guru
The [large block] error is a bug in 11.3u5, I'm sorry to say. It's patched waiting for next release.

In the interim, you can only delete then recreate a replication task, not edit it. Or you can install 11.3u4 (IIRC the bug came in with u4.1) and use that.

No bonus points for me - mine didn't create any snapshots by itself, but I went from 9 to 11.0 way back and that migration may have been better tested then.

Brad T

Dabbler
The [large block] error is a bug in 11.3u5, I'm sorry to say. It's patched waiting for next release.

In the interim, you can only delete then recreate a replication task, not edit it. Or you can install 11.3u4 (IIRC the bug came in with u4.1) and use that.

No bonus points for me - mine didn't create any snapshots by itself, but I went from 9 to 11.0 way back and that migration may have been better tested then.

thanks @JaimieV - I found several bugs in Jira after this post. Quite a mess. :(
Waiting impatiently for U6.

I think the extra snaps are a result of schedule/run automatically setting... but I’m not going to investigate further until the next update is released.