Replacing/growing ZFS pool really slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wungun

Contributor
Following the instructions in the online doc....
  1. Install one new disk.
  2. Start up the system.
  3. Go to Storage → Volumes, select the pool to expand and click the Volume Status button. Select a disk and click the Replacebutton. Choose the new disk as the replacement.
Replacing 2TB drives, one at a time, with new 4TB drives.
Started 1st drive last night...this morning, its only at 60%...
Is this right??
Should the pool have been taken offline first??

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Replacing 2TB drives, one at a time, with new 4TB drives.
Started 1st drive last night...this morning, its only at 60%...
Is this right??

Probably yes, just let it continue.

Which FreeNAS version are you using? How full is (was) your pool? Expect relatively low performance with FreeNAS versions before 11.1, where scrub/resilver performance improvements were introduced.
http://doc.freenas.org/11/intro.html#new-features-in-release

danb35

Hall of Famer

wungun

Contributor
Last edited:

pjc

Contributor
Yes, that seems totally normal, especially with a >90% volume. It took my system about 17 hours to copy 3.3TB (93%) over to new 8TB drives.

It was also highly non-linear: the last 5-6 hours were continually estimated to take less than an hour according to 'zpool status'. I chalk that up to fragmentation due to the over-full volume.

wungun

Contributor
Yes, that seems totally normal, especially with a >90% volume. It took my system about 17 hours to copy 3.3TB (93%) over to new 8TB drives.

It was also highly non-linear: the last 5-6 hours were continually estimated to take less than an hour according to 'zpool status'. I chalk that up to fragmentation due to the over-full volume.
I'm only on my 1st drive! Lol

wungun

Contributor
So...Probably not a good idea to upgrade to 11 in the middle of resilvering (between drive swaps)...?
Need to look into upgrading....

danb35

Hall of Famer
Probably not a good idea to upgrade to 11 in the middle of resilvering (between drive swaps)...?
Don't know why you'd think that--once resilvering is completed, the pool is in a fully consistent, redundant state.

wungun

Contributor
Don't know why you'd think that--once resilvering is completed, the pool is in a fully consistent, redundant state.
As I said.... INBETWEEN swaps... So it doesn't take as long....
Which I'm not gonna do.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I misread that--sorry. It should still be safe to do it while resilvering, but I wouldn't recommend it. But once one resilver finishes, no problem.

wungun

Contributor
Yeah, I misread that--sorry. It should still be safe to do it while resilvering, but I wouldn't recommend it. But once one resilver finishes, no problem.
;)
If it's possible to upgrade, I'll think about it... After resilvering.
If it has to be a clean install, I might just pass.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It shouldn't need to be a clean install; you should be able to upgrade in place from 9.10. I know I did (from 9.10.something to 11.0 to 11.1).

Status
Not open for further replies.