Replacing failed drive

markgca

Dabbler
im new to this, so...
have a freenas 11.3-U2 running fine, but a infant mortality drive dropped out after many errors
got a replacement, no room to put in a spare drive

powered the box down, removed the damaged drive, replaced it with a new one, powered up

told it to replace the drive, and it is resilvering now. but...it doesnt look right, so perhaps i did something wrong (like maybe i was supposed to detach the drive before i powered down? not sure)

anyway, here is a screenshot; any guidance appreciated.

note that it appears to have two drives under replacing, one is offline (the one i removed?) and the new one is where it should be.
my concern is that it still shows the one i removed, or is that not what im seeing/not an issue? i rebooted to make sure it wasnt that

scanning.PNG

psssttt

Dabbler

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It looks like you're facing the same problem as I do.
I don't think the issue is the same... the screenshot clearly shows that the OP is in the process of resilvering, which is just not done yet... the replacing disk pair will disappear when the process is done and you can check with zpool status at CLI if you wish. This is a flaw in the process that the status screen in the GUI doesn't accurately reflect the resilver progress.

Here's my post with things I've done so far:
I'm a little less than keen to dive into your post as you're digging yourself into a much deeper hole than necessary after experiencing some file corruption (which seems to me to have been the only real problem), which you could have corrected by dealing with those corrupted files either by restore from backup or simple deletion. The resilver will never finish properly with corrupt files in the pool.

You may want to look into the SMART status of all of your disks too, since corruption doesn't just come from nowhere.

psssttt

Dabbler
Thank you @sretalla for the info on scrub & corrupted files.
I don't want to start convo re. my issue here, but does it mean that when a scrub finds corrupted files then replacing a failing drive is pointless?

sretalla