Replacement for WD60EFRX

NASbox

Guru
I have a WD60EFRX that is starting to throw a few errors. I looked and it seems that this model has been replaced with the substandard WD60EFAX SMR drive. I've seen a couple of WD60EFRX drives online for about $350CDN which is crazy expensive for that drive.

My local choices seem to be:
-Use a WD80EFAX (8TB CMR) and waste 2TB of space for $290CDN
or
-Use a Toshiba N300 HDWN160XZSTA (6TB CMR 7200RPM) for $230CDN (Anyone know if this drive runs a lot hotter than the WD80EFAX? I've got a couple of Toshiba 4TB drives that meke great plate warmers ;)

I guess I could also buy a WD Ultrastar 14TB DC HC530 for $520CDN to upgrade one of my backup drives and take the WD80EFRX that I have been using for a backup drive, wipe it and use it for a replacement after taking a new backup. The backup drive has been around for about 2 years, but has spent most of it's life sitting on a shelf.

I should mention that the array is an 8 x 6TB WE60EFRX in RAIDZ2, that is used as a backup server/media library and file storage in home. I do backups by doing zfs sends to a single drive ZPOOL in a hot swap bay that I mount, run a backup script, scrub and dismount.

Recommendations?

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Have a look at the WD Purple line... not sure if there's a 6TB, but if there is they are all CMR.

NASbox

Guru
Have a look at the WD Purple line... not sure if there's a 6TB, but if there is they are all CMR.
Hi @sretalla I heard that they were not suitable for data storage: (just one article)

When recording video (especially where most of it will never be watched), a corrupt frame or two likely doesn't matter (exception:Murphy's law states it will be a key frame at the beginning of the incident at the only time when the suspect's face is in clear view and several seconds gets trashed).

My fear is the drive will keep dropping off the array due to errors.

Or am I missing something?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I run 16 of them in my primary NAS. No problems over a year in.

There's nothing in the specks to indicate a preference for data drops (which ZFS would handle even if that were a thing).

NASbox

Guru
I run 16 of them in my primary NAS. No problems over a year in.

There's nothing in the specks to indicate a preference for data drops (which ZFS would handle even if that were a thing).
Good to know... thanks for passing that along. May I ask which model numbers and how you use your NAS?
Does it do a heavy workload or sit idle most of the time? Is the speed decent?

The WD Purple Surveillance Hard Drive (2TB 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 64 MB Cache 5400 RPM -WD20PURZ) is only $90CDN.
The WD Purple Surveillance Hard Drive (4TB 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 64 MB Cache 5400 RPM -WD40PURZ) is only $130CDN.
Are you sure that WD hasn't changed the small Purple drives to SMR? These prices are almost the same as the WD Blue SMR drives.

I would think SMR would work well for surveillance since it would be mostly sequential writes.

Last edited:

diedrichg

Wizard
Are the WD Easystore external drives available for purchase and would you be okay with shucking the drives? You'd save a ton of money.

NASbox

Guru
Are the WD Easystore external drives available for purchase and would you be okay with shucking the drives? You'd save a ton of money.
I'm not sure? Do you know what model drive is inside? Is it rated for 24/7 use? Can I find specs? I am assuming it would be a cheap desktop drive, but I don't know. I think they need a minor modification or a jumper or something as well. I guess that's not a big deal as long as I can file reliable instructions about what to do.

sretalla