Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor - Failures

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NASbox

Guru
Anyone using the WD Red WD60EFRX 6TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s drives?

Any feedback is much appreciated. Performance/failures/etc. Running out of space on a RAIDZ2 pool on my home server and an thinking about them as a possible replacement for 3TB Seagate drives (1 of 4 with a few bad sectors after < 2 years)

Thanks in advance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I have 10 of them, bought them the day they showed up on Newegg. Zero problems. Performance is fine. You need to understand that the performance of the disks themselves is only a small piece of the puzzle. If I took out 24 of my 32GB of RAM I'd be here cussing out my pool due to poor performance. So don't get frugal with the RAM and things will be fine.

NASbox

Guru
I have 10 of them, bought them the day they showed up on Newegg. Zero problems. Performance is fine. You need to understand that the performance of the disks themselves is only a small piece of the puzzle. If I took out 24 of my 32GB of RAM I'd be here cussing out my pool due to poor performance. So don't get frugal with the RAM and things will be fine.

Hi cyberjock

Thanks for the reply...

How long have you had them in service?

I appreciate the comment, yes I am well aware of ram... have 16GB... It's very rare that I push enough data at any one time to seriously flood it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've had them about 6 months.

I've got my 10x6TB in a RAIDZ2, and I've found that 32GB of RAM just isn't always enough. I also run Plex in a jail, and my pool has periods of slowness that I'm almost 100% sure is due to insufficient ARC size. If you take the 1GB of RAM per TB of storage space to heart, I've obviously exceeded that by quite a bit. ;)

NASbox

Guru
I've had them about 6 months.

I've got my 10x6TB in a RAIDZ2, and I've found that 32GB of RAM just isn't always enough. I also run Plex in a jail, and my pool has periods of slowness that I'm almost 100% sure is due to insufficient ARC size. If you take the 1GB of RAM per TB of storage space to heart, I've obviously exceeded that by quite a bit. ;)

Thanks.... for the comment on the RAM... how slow does it run when you get slowdowns?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
For large file transfers I often get as poorly as about 100MB/sec (yes, I'm spoiled). Small files always suck and throughput isn't a good indicator of speed so I won't even bother mentioning it.

Scrubs can take a while if I'm streaming stuff to my Roku. For example, I started a scrub 2 days ago and it took 40 hours. I've also been streaming the whole time and the pool has about 10TB free. Compared to historical norms for other pools with the same spindles that's pretty slow. :( The slow scrubs aren't a big deal because they do finish and there's no reason to be particularly upset about the time frame to complete a scrub. If it took a week I'd be quite upset, but 2 days is nothing.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks.... for the comment on the RAM... how slow does it run when you get slowdowns?

I'll note that on a 30TB (11 x 4TB RAIDZ3) pool here, I did some experimentation because it's easy when the thing is virtualized under ESXi. Normally the filer has 32GB allocated to it, but when I dropped that to 6GB, write speeds dropped to a third of what they were, and read speeds seemed very much more uneven and unpredictable.

I have X9SCM-F with 32 GB Ram and 16 Bays to use. I already plan to to Raidz2 like cyberjock but with 8x4Tb drives = 32GB Raw. Now I have 8 more bays I can use. The question is how much more I can stretch the rule 1gb per TB. I don't use jails or plugins , it's mostly for movies storage. ? What I trying to learn-understand is the difference between making the system not stable or just making the cache smaller. I will never risk system stability if getting more than 32TB Raw on 32 GB ram will have that risk, but I wouldn't mine if I have smaller cache in arc will let me put another 32TB ot at least 16TB more.
I don't know enough about how Freenas is using the memory to determine what I will risk if I go about 32TB , system stability or just less cache ? What you guys can advice me ?

marbus90

Guru
For that use case 32GB are still worth a shot. If you notice a performance impact, upgrade to a Xeon E5 system.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't know enough about how Freenas is using the memory to determine what I will risk if I go about 32TB , system stability or just less cache ? What you guys can advice me ?

You'll probably be fine. The further up in size you go, the more flexibility there is in the rule-of-thumb. It is more to prevent people from doing catastrophic stupid like "why does my my 100TB pool on 8GB not work". That isn't going to work out and I would expect it to be potentially unstable. I deliberately rewrote the handbook section on memory sizing to be a bit vague because of this.

For a busy departmental fileserver with a small amount of storage, you almost certainly need more than 1GB per TB, at least if you want good performance.

But for light duty file service, which is generally what archival or video storage is, with (relatively) lots of RAM, you can go lighter on the RAM. You might lose some performance, especially write performance, since the task of writing to the pool involves having lots of information about the pool in-core, such as where the free blocks are. Keeping more free space available helps to mitigate this.

As long as you're past the 8GB mark and you're not stupidly outside the rule-of-thumb size (maybe more than a factor of 2x-3x) I can't think of anyone who's had stability issues, just performance stuff like Cyberjock talks about. Scrubs take a backseat to other pool traffic anyways so I'm not really all that shocked at his two days, or even if it were to be a week. The 30TB (40TB raw) filer I talked about above is at 42% capacity and did its last scrub in 20h13m, which implies it was doing around 550MBytes/sec from the pool average. As capacity goes up, scrub times are just going to be longer.

Using the same resources is it matter for the system performance if I have one big RaidZ1 pool or have 10 smaller RaidZ1 ?

marbus90

Guru
there is no such thing as "big raidz1". too many disks per vdev and too low redundancy per vdev.

the latter still applying even with smaller z1 vdevs. 6-10 disks in z2 per vdev is okay-ish.

there is no such thing as "big raidz1". too many disks per vdev and too low redundancy per vdev.

the latter still applying even with smaller z1 vdevs. 6-10 disks in z2 per vdev is okay-ish.

It's not about the redundancy , it's example to understand how it will affect system load. Will creating many pools from the available storage will increase system load , and demand more resources instead of 1-2 pools, that is the question ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not about the redundancy , it's example to understand how it will affect system load. Will creating many pools from the available storage will increase system load , and demand more resources instead of 1-2 pools, that is the question ?

No, I do not think the number of pools is of any consequence.

For large file transfers I often get as poorly as about 100MB/sec (yes, I'm spoiled). Small files always suck and throughput isn't a good indicator of speed so I won't even bother mentioning it.

Scrubs can take a while if I'm streaming stuff to my Roku. For example, I started a scrub 2 days ago and it took 40 hours. I've also been streaming the whole time and the pool has about 10TB free. Compared to historical norms for other pools with the same spindles that's pretty slow. :( The slow scrubs aren't a big deal because they do finish and there's no reason to be particularly upset about the time frame to complete a scrub. If it took a week I'd be quite upset, but 2 days is nothing.

I am building a pool with 10 drives (HGST 4TB Coolspin) in RaidZ2 in 1 vdev like you did with your 10X6TB drives. if you are getting 100MB/sec on large files , is that mean I will not benefit if upgrade to 10G Nic ? Right now I have 1GB Network which I can saturate but I was thinking to get 10G nic to move my larger file in and out of the pool faster. I know you have the same hardware(x9scm-f/32GB/Xeon 1230v2) but you have 10G nic , is it worth to upgrade to 10GB nic or my pool will be slow for getting speeds faster that 1GB ?
I would appreciate input before jump in to 10GB

Status
Not open for further replies.