WD Red Plus vs Seagate Exos ST8000NM000A

kirkdickinson

Contributor
I have a pool that is getting full and the drives are also getting old. I haven't had a failure (yet). The pool has 6 WD 4-gig Red Plus drive in ZFS2 configuration. I am thinking about replacing them all with 8TB drives.

I was looking at Backblaze Drive stats today and saw this Seagate drive that a failure rate of 0% over 12,088 drive days and it is cheaper than the WD Red Plus drives that I was looking at. I see that they are using fewer of them than some of the other drives, so I realize that the failure rate might be higher if they had more examples.

Seagate https://www.newegg.com/seagate-exos-7e8-st8000nm000a-8tb/p/1Z4-002P-01A30
Western Digital https://www.newegg.com/red-wd80efax-8tb/p/1Z4-0002-00B89

1-Q2-2023-Quarterly-AFR.jpg

Also see the Toshiba MG0ACA16TEY has a 0% failure rate with a lot more individual drives. That is way more storage than I need, but the price for those Toshibas, at least on Newegg is really close to the WD Plus drives. https://www.newegg.com/toshiba-mg08aca16te-16tb/p/1Z4-000B-00FR7

Why is Blackblaze using SATA drives instead of SAS drives?

What are the thoughts here on my options?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Why is Blackblaze using SATA drives instead of SAS drives?
Price and use-case... mostly write-once data at very high volume.

I was looking at Backblaze Drive stats today and saw this Seagate drive that a failure rate of 0% over 12,088 drive days and it is cheaper than the WD Red Plus drives that I was looking at.
only 158 drive sample... could just be a lucky batch. Also only had them for less than a year, so it may play out differently after the mid-life bubble bursts (in a couple of years).

Looking overall, it's a real indictment of Seagate reliability... they have Almost every Seagate model at over 1% failure, with large numbers of drives proving even higher failure rates... I would (and do) stay clear of Seagate.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Based on the choices above I would choose the WD Red Plus. I like the reliability I've seen and I like the 5400 RPM cooler drives. I'm not sure what your use case is, do you need a 7200 RPM drive?

With all that said, there is a significant price difference, one that would justify you being able to purchase a spare or two drives and still save money if you went with the Seagate drives. I would look around to see if there are any better prices for the WD Red Plus drives first. I do like Newegg, be buying from them since they came on the market.

I didn't see anything that said if the Seagate drive was CMR or SMR (I didn't have the time to properly investigate). The price difference makes me think you need to know, SMR drives are quite a bit cheaper than CMR drives.

Davvo

MVP

Etorix

Wizard
I would pick the best price per TB, and drives as big as can be afforded—so definitely 16 TB over 8 TB. Who ever has enough capacity? :tongue:

I didn't see anything that said if the Seagate drive was CMR or SMR (I didn't have the time to properly investigate). The price difference makes me think you need to know, SMR drives are quite a bit cheaper than CMR drives.
As far as I know, only WD sneaks SMR drives in NAS lines. NAS/Enterprises drives from Seagate and Toshiba are all fine.

sretalla