Replaced mirror with larger drives but can't expand pool?

nero10578

Dabbler
Hi, I have a 2 VDEV 2-way mirror pool which originally had 2x 12TB drives and 2x 14TB drives in it. I have now replaced the 12TB drives with 14TB drives one by one using the replace function in the GUI.

The replacement works fine but I can't seem to expand the pool to the higher capacity with the new 14TB drives. The GUI also seems to still warn me about mixed VDEV capacities when it is already all the same size drives.

Using zpool commands also still shows 10.9TiB for the previously 2x12TB VDEV instead of expanding to 12.73TiB like the other 2x14TB VDEV. I have tried using the zpool online -e command which seems to take but not do anything. Autoexpand seems to already be set to on. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Could it be because I am using the latest Truenas Scale 23 Cobia BETA and the expand feature is broken there?

Screenshot 2023-09-11 233653.jpg
Screenshot 2023-09-11 233706.jpg
Screenshot 2023-09-11 233720.jpg

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
zpool online -e DATA1 <UUID> for both drives should fix it.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need to use the UUID as output by the zpool status command.

nero10578

Dabbler
You need to use the UUID as output by the zpool status command.
Ok I tried that. There's no corresponding output from after I input those commands. I also tried with the dash as how the zpool status command shows the UUID. Doesn't seem to do anything to me?
Screenshot 2023-09-12 003207.jpg

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Please don't post screenshots but copy & paste text included in CODE tags.

To come to your problem ... what does the partition table look like? Possibly TrueNAS created a partition matching the size of your old disk and you need to extend these first then repeat the zpool online -e ... commands.

I don't know how to extend partitions in Linux based TrueNAS but it should be easy.

nero10578

Dabbler
Please don't post screenshots but copy & paste text included in CODE tags.

To come to your problem ... what does the partition table look like? Possibly TrueNAS created a partition matching the size of your old disk and you need to extend these first then repeat the zpool online -e ... commands.

I don't know how to extend partitions in Linux based TrueNAS but it should be easy.
Oh sorry about that. I will check that next, but I thought it should be automated.

yeeahnick

Dabbler
Had a very similar issue. I replaced a mirror pool of 2x6TB with 2x12TB and after the resilvering the pool was still showing 6TB (autoexpand was enabled). I then tried the expand button which said successful but nothing had changed. After that I noticed I had no expand space available on the drive's partitions. I decided to proceed with detaching and reattaching the drives from the pool's VDEV one by one. As soon as the second drive started to resilver the pool capacity jumped to 12TB. Hope this can help others until the "fix" is released.