troubleshooting mirror vdev won't expand

danb35

Hall of Famer
@morganL, the bug is still marked private. What will users in @Saoshen's position need to do once 23.10.1 is released? Is it going to be a manual, CLI-intensive process to get the full capacity out of the new disks, or will the GUI have a helper for this?

yeeahnick

Dabbler
Had a very similar issue. I replaced a mirror pool of 2x6TB with 2x12TB and after the resilvering the pool was still showing 6TB (autoexpand was enabled). I then tried the expand button which said successful but nothing had changed. After that I noticed I had no expand space available on the drive's partitions. I decided to proceed with detaching and reattaching the drives from the pool's VDEV one by one. As soon as the second drive started to resilver the pool capacity jumped to 12TB. Hope this can help others until the "fix" is released.

Saoshen

Dabbler
Thanks.

This also fixed my expansion issue (detach > extend > resilver) both affected drives, one at a time.

yeeahnick

Dabbler
@morganL, the bug is still marked private. What will users in @Saoshen's position need to do once 23.10.1 is released? Is it going to be a manual, CLI-intensive process to get the full capacity out of the new disks, or will the GUI have a helper for this?
I had the bug marked as public this morning by an admin on reddit. FYI 23.10.1 is out today but NAS-125078 is not in the changelog.

Last edited:

Saoshen

Dabbler
yeah the (preventative) fix won't be out until the next release beta, some time early next year, I assume.

I think you were the first to try, and confirm the fix for already affected vdevs. I was waiting for an official response/recommendation before attempting the same, until your confirmation.

Davvo

MVP
Almost completely OT but I don't understand using reddit instead of the official forum o_O

yeeahnick

Dabbler
Almost completely OT but I don't understand using reddit instead of the official forum o_O
I get your point but the reddit post itself is an official truenast post with changelogs... a truenas admin even replied to me and made this specific ticket public because I mentioned it was private. Then the changelogs were modifed because the NAS was added to changelogs after I mentioned (on reddit) it was missing.

Davvo

MVP
I get your point but the reddit post itself is an official truenast post with changelogs... a truenas admin even replied to me and made this specific ticket public because I mentioned it was private. Then the changelogs were modifed because the NAS was added to changelogs after I mentioned (on reddit) it was missing.
Not critiquing you.