Replaced faulted drive, now new drive is also faulted: Other hardware issue?

muffinMan

Dabbler
I replaced a drive in my pool that was faulted and it looked like it resilvered without issue. Now a few days later looks like the new drive is also faulted. Is this a coincidence or might it be a bad SATA connection? I unplugged all the SATA and power connections to all the drives and plugged them back in, but there was not an improvement, however the damage may have been done. How can I rule out an actual drive failure?

Redcoat

MVP
How can I rule out an actual drive failure?
First try swapping the port that the failed drive is plugged into for that of a current functioning drive to test the port.

It sounds like you didn't burn in the replacement drive before installing it?

Fleshmauler

Explorer
I had the EXACT same issue. Swapped ports, sata data cables - drive 1 was still failing. Replaced it with drive 2. After 24h drive 2 also starts failing.

Replaced more sata data wires, installed a sas controller... both drives failing on two seperate sas cables.

Bought drive 3 - been working fine for a week now.

Sometimes it really is just 2 failed drives & 2 rma forms to fill.

Otherwise try swapping ports & replacing cables first.

muffinMan

Dabbler
First try swapping the port that the failed drive is plugged into for that of a current functioning drive to test the port.
I think I'll try this. But if it is the port/cable, I don't want to corrupt another drive by reconnecting it to the drive I swap it with. So do I want to unmount the pool, or just operate with 2 drives missing (1 faulted, 1 disconnected) from my RAIDZ2?

It sounds like you didn't burn in the replacement drive before installing it?
No I did not. I know that isn't advised... but I hoped it wouldn't be a dire mistake.

muffinMan

Dabbler
I had the EXACT same issue. Swapped ports, sata data cables - drive 1 was still failing. Replaced it with drive 2. After 24h drive 2 also starts failing.

Replaced more sata data wires, installed a sas controller... both drives failing on two seperate sas cables.

Bought drive 3 - been working fine for a week now.

Sometimes it really is just 2 failed drives & 2 rma forms to fill.

Otherwise try swapping ports & replacing cables first.
That's both good to hear and frustrating. Only my newest drive is still under warranty, however.

Fleshmauler

Explorer
I guess the only option you have left at play is swaping the cable then.

After that a 2ndish hand sas controller is the next cheapest step to test both drives & isolate a possible bad plug.

Hope it turns out both drives are good & all you did was aquire a spare.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you have the ability, save off your data before moving any cables since you have a RAIDZ2 and two failing drives. One more failing drive and your pool is likely gone. Back it up first, or the most important data at least.

Good luck, sounds like you are going to need it.