Replace Motherboard in working Freenas Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert ikin

Cadet
I've been using Freenas on an old Dell machine (Optiplex 780) for about a year, I'm really happy my present Freenas configuration and it's performance. However the motherboard has only two internal SATA ports one of which I recently discovered is broken, I want to install a second HD with the possibility of further storage expansion (not happy using SATA expansion card). I have a Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2P (4 SATA ports) kicking about that I would like to put in the Dell box using the existing memory, cpu and HD. Can I do the swap without losing the data on the HD and keep the current install config on the USB stick or is it an upgrade from the current version CD or a complete reinstall job of the Freenas OS and plugins

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
If you've followed the guides here, and are sure you haven't used any sort of HW RAID, you can move your data drives and system USB stick to a new machine.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The only thing you might need to do is reconfigure your network, if (1) the NIC on the new mobo uses a different driver than the NIC on the old one, and (2) you'd manually configured it. Other than that, it should be plug and play.

AVB

Contributor
It should be plug and play but like anything else plan for the worst. Make sure you have a good backup of the data and your config before starting. I'll be doing the same thing next week :)

Status
Not open for further replies.