FreeNAS on Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H motherboard

FreeNAS on Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H motherboard?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Cadet
Hi,

I would like to build a home server. I was going to build it on a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H motherboard that looks good. It has 10 SATA as I want.
6 SATA ports with RAID1, 5.10 and
4 SATA ports raid 0, 1

There are also similar cards from ASUS, but it costs about 50Euro more.

Is there anyone who has used the motherboard with FreeNAS?

Thank you!

B.R. Dmitry

malcolmputer

Explorer
No ECC. You must have ECC unless you don't care about your data.

Read the Hardware Suggestions Sticky. After you have read that, try again.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, if you read the stickies you'll see that your board(which is an excellent desktop board) is not recommended for a FreeNAS server.

Also, your poll has 2 answers... yes.. and yes... So how am I supposed to answer that? LOL

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Dmitry

Cadet
OK, thanks guys!:)

After I've read a lot on-line and here in the forum i have decided for the following parts:
Supermicro X10SL7-F-O ( Many SATA ports- can expand, good recessions)
Intel Xeon E3-1220v3 3,1GHz Socket 1150 box (included cooler, is it OK??)Please advise!
Be quiet! PowerSupply (PSU) Pure Power L8 530W Modular
KINGSTON HP 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ECC Module x 1 or 2 ? ( will begin with one, or will 16gigs dramatically increase performance??)
WD Red 2TB SATA III (IntelliPower / 64MB Cache) X 4Pcs
ASUS DVD±RW
Scythe CPU-cooler Mugen 3 (probably don´t need it, cooler is included with CPU)
Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black

I m not shure if i need SSD for OS or it is ok wiht USB memory (4-8 gig). If USB ok, shall I look at USB3 or USB2 ok??
I wonder if SSD can increase read/write performance? Please advice!:)

my plan is to make raid6/raidz2 (4 drives x 2 tbs)
2tbs disks is qite cheap and i think it is good ide to do smaller pools. I one pool crashes- perhaps second pool alive.:cool:
If first pool is full then i can add one pool more on X10sl7 board. So i feel it last some yaer for me.

What i wonder is what performance(read/write) can i expect? Around 100Mb/s ?
Another question is, if something happens with server. And I want to get data from a pool disks.
Can I replace pool disks to an windows PC and recover the data? Can I read freenas files in Windows/ Linux?

Thank you for all advices!
B.R.
Dmitry

Dusan

Guru
I m not shure if i need SSD for OS or it is ok wiht USB memory (4-8 gig). If USB ok, shall I look at USB3 or USB2 ok??
USB is OK and it is the recommended approach. Any USB stick from an reputable vendor is fine, FreeNAS doesn't support your board's USB3 controller anyway (yet).
Another question is, if something happens with server. And I want to get data from a pool disks.
Can I replace pool disks to an windows PC and recover the data? Can I read freenas files in Windows/ Linux?
Windows will definitely not be able to access the drives. Your best bet would be another FreeNAS install or FreeBSD (or Illumos).

Status
Not open for further replies.