Upgrading hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosUK

Dabbler
Hi so I have a simple question.

I'm running my freenas server on an old Dell Optiplex 780 with Core 2 Duo 8600. Its been running fine now for a year now.
Yes I do know that people around here don't recommend this kind of hardware but its been working fine for me and I have a lot of trust for those Optiplex pc's.
I'm using it to store my music and movies so I can access all of it from any pc or phone tablet in my home and its been fine. I'm also running transmission, plex and owncloud on it.

Recently I was able to buy another Dell pretty chip its much newer 7010 with a i7 3770. So I'm thinking about upgrading my freenas server. Better and more power efficient CPU and a newer power supply would make my freenas server happier.

SO MY QUESTION IS: Can I just plug my usb stick with freenas to the new machine and install my HDD in it and it will work? Or its going to be more complicated than that.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Better and more power efficient CPU and a newer power supply would make my freenas server happier.
...except that it still doesn't support ECC, and thus still really isn't a good idea for running a file server.
Can I just plug my usb stick with freenas to the new machine and install my HDD in it and it will work?
Yes. If you manually configured a network interface on the old system, and the new system uses different NIC hardware than the old one, you may need to reconfigure the network--you can do that from the text console. Other than that, it should be good to go.

ChaosUK

Dabbler
yes.. i know that it doesn't support ECC (although some of them do) but its not an issue for me as I don't keep any sensitive data on it. I do plan upgrading in in the future..

as for network interface I don't really remember because it was a year ago. I know I followed some tutorial on youtube or smth.
I guess I have to see how to do that. Is it somewhere in the manual?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is it somewhere in the manual?
Yes, it's in the manual (and most other questions about how to do something are covered there as well). But really, try booting the system. If it picks up an IP address, it will tell you, and you'll be good.

ChaosUK

Dabbler
stupid me... i was changing my server today and spend about 15min trying to configure network just to realise that I didn't plug in the lan cable :>
everything works fine now...
I have an i3 3225 for now because 3770 has different use at the moment :>
still its nearly twice as fast as e8600 (4334 vs 2400). i7 3770 has around 9300 :>

straight away i see improvement in plex... I can now play 4k movies :>

Last edited:

Inxsible

Guru
stupid me... i was changing my server today and spend about 15min trying to configure network just to realise that I didn't plug in the lan cable :>
everything works fine now...
I have an i3 3225 for now because 3770 has different use at the moment :>
still its nearly twice as fast as e8600 (4334 vs 2400). i7 3770 has around 9300 :>

straight away i see improvement in plex... I can now play 4k movies :>
PEBKAC :rolleyes:

Inxsible

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.