Removing an unallocated drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfcredfox

Patron
I'd like input on the proper way to remove a drive that is not allocated to any pools on the fly.

Scenario: Controller/Drive/my system is known to support hotswap. I have hot swapped a drive that went bad by following the proper procedure in the manual, had no issues. It worked as expected.

In this case, i'd like to remove a drive that will be used purely for DD testing against a device, but it will not be part of a pool/array/volume at anytime without taking the system down if possible.

I don't believe the manual covers removing drives on the fly any other way other than selecting the offline button as a part of the volume. Since this is not going to be part of a volume, that won't apply.

Does anyone have any personal experience with doing this anywhere?
If not, you do believe FreeNAS/BSD will have no issue releasing the device once it's pulled if it's not a part of any volume?
Is there any command or appropriate method to do this? Or is it not designed for, thus should not be done, and the system should be taken down to remove an unallocated drive?

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If its not part of a volume or anything it's nothing more than unpartitioned/unformatted disk space. The system won't care if you pull the drive or not.

sfcredfox

Patron
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.