Reinstalled 9.3, having problems importing pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

VulcanRidr

Explorer
This weekend, I was attempting to set up mirrored thumb drives for my boot devices, and ran into an issue when I plugged the second drive in, and the NAS rebooted. As it turns out, the configuration on the motherboard apparently reset the configuration, so it tried to boot off of ada0, one of the NAS drives, instead of off of the boot (thumb) drive, da0. I didn't even think to check the mobo config, since the board is fairly new, so I figured either the thumb drive was bad or had been wiped.

I am running FreeNAS 9.3, which was an upgrade from an initial install of 9.2.1.8 -> 9.2.1.9 -> 9.3.0, and the one ZFS feature upgrade was applied when it came out. I read the docs on re-importing pools, and unless I missed something, I think I did it right. I also searched the forums and google, but I didn't find anything that quite fit my circumstances.

Hardware:

motherboard is aBiostar Mini ITX NM70I-1037U with a dual-core 1.8GHz Intei 1037U CPU and 8GB of Kingston HyperX Dual Channel DDR 1600 RAM (2 4GB sticks). I will be ordering a replacement SuperMicro board + ECC RAM, probably this week.

For hard drives, I have 1 WD Green 3TB (which I tweaked with WDIDLE), 1 Seagate, and 1 Toshiba, in a RAID-Z configuration with GELI.

So I reinstalled FreeNAS 9.3. Once I did, I was able to decrypt and reimport my pool, using the geli.key I had saved. So then, I reloaded the saved configuration I had from prior to the rebuild. After the nas auto-rebooted, the pool came up locked as always. When I tried to unlock it, it failed with the following message:

Code:
manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Volume  could not be imported: 3 devices failed to decrypt]

I also see

Code:
Failed to geli attach gptid/<UUID>: keyfile /data/geli/<uuid>.key: No such file or directory.

I asked around on #freenas on irc, and didn't come up with an answer, so I tried rebuilding it, and uploading the configuration before trying to import the pool. Unfortunately, the pool configuration seemed to be uploaded with the configuration, with the old UUIDs.

Is there a way to import the configuration from the old installation without breaking the ability to import the pool as it stands now?

Thanks,
--vr

VulcanRidr

Explorer
All right. I just wanted to update this, as it is solved. Thanks to Zensig, who had the same problem (I did search, honest! :) ).

The "problem" is that the saved db also saves the UUIDs in use at the time, however the reinstall assigns different UUIDs to the disks in the vdev. I didn't find a way to, once the configuration was reloaded, to import the pool (this was done by the config reload), so I had to rename the key file to from <new_uuid>.key to <old_uuid>.key after the reboot.

I know what CyberJock said about "doing stuff behind the GUI's back" on the command line, but it seemed to work.

Thanks,
--vr

Status
Not open for further replies.