SOLVED reinstallation of FreeNAS - changes befuddle me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arelman

Dabbler
I have a HP Proliant with 8Gb ram and four WD 3Tb hard drives.
for reasons apparent by an earlier post, I am attempting to reinstall FreeNAS by the rest to factory defaults and work from there.
I have spent a fair amount of time reading up on this stuff but the guide I used a couple of years ago is no longer available and there have been changes to the process that I don't understand. So this plea before I spend big money on a hardware/software package.
1. the domain name/realm - I don't know what it is. Many say skip the process but the wizard demands the field be completed. It then complains if it cannot find the domain.

That is just the beginning.
When I want to just add a user/group and apply permissions (I have viewed the Youtube video) I still am not allowed to access the folders on the NAS. it is my NAS, my data and I want access - just like I did before.
This is obviously not my first priority in terms of education but I suspect my ability to absorb information is rather limited because even with all my searching and reading the guides etc, I must be getting things out of order in the process.

Here is the rub.
I created vol_1, gave it permissions
created dataset in vol_1
User created (with group) and gave them permissions
I go to windows explorer, look to add folders but don't have permission.
windows explorer won't let me change the permissions - spits the dummy.
there is one user extra - a Unix user that I didn't consciously add - that windows will not let me delete. It doesn't exist in the FreeNAS users list.

So these are the basic issues I have - best advise you can give me is the best proprietary system to buy to use my four hard drives. FreeNAS has cracked my wide open.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Arelman

Dabbler
Thanks to SweetandLow and the Internet Monkey.
Much reading, over and over, plus other supportive documents and ... I finally got it to work.
That is such a relief and ends a couple of months of anguish.
There will be other challenges - like will I get NextCloud to work?
Thanks to the resources of the forum. Sleeping much better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.