redirect/passthrough usb device to virtualbox (jail)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d brown

Dabbler
I've a fresh install of FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 and the new virtualbox jail system is working nicely, install and running happily, so no problems directly.

However I would like to pass two usb devices through to the virtualbox jail (say ugen0.9 & ugen0.10) i've had a search around the forum and google and only found vague references.

Any advice?

alttab

Dabbler
Would love to have this working too.
Today i ran away from nas4free due to the fact it's not as user friendly as FreeNAS and the fact that FreeNAS contains an official virtulbox image.
However usb passthrough isn't working (it does work on nas4free after fixing permission on the device).

Maybe something to do with the jail?

alttab

Dabbler
And all the sudden it works... at the end ' chmod 777 /dev/usb/* ' from within the virtualbox jail fixed the issue.

After a reboot of the jail it reverts , so need to start this command on startup of the jail.
Any suggestions are welcome to fix this permanently.

Last edited:

andyclimb

Contributor
I get this to kind of work, but if the device is reinserted the permissions all revert.

Where in the jail can I configure the permissions...

I've looked in devfs.conf which is how its done in 'other' jails but not the vbox one!

alttab

Dabbler
Last week i destroyed the permissions on my jails directory (n00b failure).
So i had to start over with the virtualbox jail. So i had to fix the usb passthrough too.

I fixed it (again) by performing this guide in both Freenas terminal and the jail.
Now usb passthrough is working again, i have to chmod777 /dev/usb/* again after a jail restart.
@cyberjock , this must work on your server too
https://code.google.com/p/nas4free-extensions/wiki/VirtualBox_USB

It looks like to be a permission problem. After fixing permissions the usb device needs to get put on poweroff --> poweron as seen in the scripts on the url above.

Status
Not open for further replies.