Recovering DataStore if Deleted

TheCrew

Cadet
Hello all,
This is my first posting with an issue at my work and hope someone may have a resolution. I have done some research on here and found senarios close to our situation but nothing definitive. My colleague was tasked with re-purposing a FreeNAS Storage box to another location. He thought it wasn't being used for anything, wrong, and deleted the CIFS shares and in turn deleted the data on them. Now were trying to recover the data. Is this even possible or are we fighting a losing battle?
Things checked:
*In CLI the volume (Vol1) is still there. the rpool.cache & zpool.cache is still in the /boot/zfs/.
*Couple of the shares in Vol1 are there /mnt/Vol1/Backups/ /mnt/Vol1/Images, but all others are gone.
When "ls" there is no other information in the 2 shares
We refrained from typing too many commands at it to make sure of data integrity. Do we have a next step if so we'll be glad to post screenshots or any information needed.
Thanks in advance for any help,
The New Guys

artlessknave

Wizard
your wording is confusing. when you say "volume", do you mean "pool"? and when you say "share", do you mean "dataset" or "folder"? share only applies to network sharing protocols like CIFS/NFS, not the underlying filesystem.
if only the CIFS shares were deleted, then the data is still on the pool. if the source data was deleted..then it's gone, unless you have snapshots ( if the dataset was deleted the snapshots would be gone as well.)
this is why backups are so important.
it might be possible to piece bits together but...you could be looking at 5-6 figure costs probably, since zfs provides functionally nothing for data recovery; proper backups are assumed.