Recommended path for plugins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neek

Dabbler
What is the recommended path for plugins on FreeNAS 11? It seems additional capabilities with respect to VM / Docker support are coming in 11.1. Do the people in the know recommend that we use the older plugins? That we setup jails? Use VMs via bhyve? Wait for docker?

I had an install of crashplan go bad during the update from FreeNAS 9.10 to 11 (discussed here https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/update-9-10-11-now-one-jail-cannot-network.55638/) but I still don't know what the best way would be to get crashplan up and running again and this is one of my key pieces of my backup strategy. I can setup a jail but crashplan has been notoriously brittle in this kind of config so if I'm going to set it up again I'd like to do so in a somewhat future-proofed method, that'll be well supported when 11.1 ships.

thanks

Artion

Patron
Jails reside in an exclusive dataset and can be in any volume you specify. It is recomended to be located in SSD volumes for speed reasons. What broke your crashplan plugins is not clear and I don't think it is related to the place where the jails reside.
Have you tried to create the plugin offered from FN 11 and then copy the crashplan settings from the old jail to the newer? IMHO it is a good practice to have a backup of the configuration files of these services.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It is recomended to be located in SSD volumes for speed reasons.
No, that isn't very commonly recommended. It's certainly possible, and there's nothing necessarily wrong with it, but there really isn't a particularly good reason to do it on an adequately-resourced system.
I still don't know what the best way would be to get crashplan up and running again
Set up a Linux VM (either on the FreeNAS server or elsewhere), and run Crashplan there.

Status
Not open for further replies.